Need to cover a vent in a 4rth floor flat without scafolding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to find a fitting to cover an external vent fitted from inside a flat, and without using a scafolding. I am thinking of something that functions like the

Rawlplug Spring Toggle

used for plasterboards. The idea is to be able to push the vent thru the hole on the wall, and small 'spring arms' opening at the other end to fixt the vent in place.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
What kind of vent - its purpose?

What size?

Is here already a "hole" in the wall?

There are purpose made vents for installing through the wall from the inside. Perhaps google high rise vents eg. at Vent-Axia.

A cooker hood has to be connected to an existing hole of around 10 cm diameter. It is not easy to tidy up the wall from inside. For this reason I am looking for a cap that can be fitted to the tube that will connect to the the cooker hood.

My hope is to find a cap that is in some way expandable and will completely cover the edges of the hole (like an umbrella that opens once the tube comes out through the hole.)

Then, for what its worth, why not simply buy the off-the-shelf appropriate high rise cooker vent and attach it to your ducting?
You will then be certain of it being fit for purpose and not a risk for any passerby on a windy night.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of tying the cover to a piece of string and hoisting it upwards by pulling the string through the hole. Once it gets to the roughly correct position manipulating it into its final position with various sticks through the hole from the inside.
There is a complete lack of decent covers for this sort of thing so I cannot recommend any one, but I think it will need a short stub of a tube on its inside so that it will engage properly in the existing hole, put a good load of your favorite goo around the lip of hole to hold it in position. There is a knot for this sort of thing, you end up with two ends of string, pulling one tightens the knot, pulling the other loosens it an allows the string to be pulled off.
Frank

While the above article is for a 100mm system, the text says it needs a 117mm core drill ! TYPICAL.
Frank

Thank you for all the replies. The one from the prince of darkness could be useful.

And if this codged together arrangement, glued on with silicone, is subject to shrinkage and expansion over a couple of winters, and then blown off on to a passerby - what then?

Prior to coming off it might be loosened, and subject you all to a couple of years of chatter, which will be amplified back to the hood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back