Need to drill 110mm hole through stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put a 110mm hole through a 3ft thick wall made of stone circa 1820 house, its to put an extractor in the bathroom. Just want advice on the best tool for the job as i know its going to be a ball ache as it takes long enough to drill through to put a cable in for TV etc.

I am open to your suggestions as I was thinking a diamond core bit with extension bar but what do you reckon?

Sponsored Links
Yes I think you know how to do it, You can hire what you need, they will charge for the cutter per mm, so shop around if you can for the best mm price rather than the hire price.

I have a horrible feeling it`s going to be worse than a ball ache :cry: best get some more opinions .......cuz damp stone clogs badly :idea:

That's going to be a nightmare.

Can you not exhaust via some other route? A window? Up into a loft space and through a [thinner] gable?

Sponsored Links
Easy on brick, different story on solid stone walls, You will find its easier to take a stone out internally, find the stone outside near it (by drilling a pilot hole with a long bit, in a black mortar joint) take out the stone near on the outside, and there probably is a mixture of smaller stones, on the "infill", remove these, make hole big enough for 4" soil pipe. Rebuild stones to fit around this new pipe, using mortar, and make good.
Extractor fits on the inside of the pipe, with the cover on the outside

Why not take it up into the loft and vent it out somewhere sensible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back