Need to extend ring main - help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently knocked 2 bedrooms in to one and now i am left with 2 wall sockets connected together with a very short piece of cable. My problem is that i need the 2 sockets mounted on a wall and the current cable falls short by about a foot. How can i extend the ring main? Can i use a junction box a situate it under the floor boards? If so what type of junction box do i use? can i legally do this work or do i need a sparky to do it? Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Any junction box has to be accessible so you can't put it under the floor. Can you mount the sockets and replace the cable between? thus keeping the ring intact.

I cannot mount the sockets as they fall short by a foot from the wall and are currently sitting on the floor, should i not use junction boxes then? Am i better replacing the cable?

Sponsored Links
It can be done using the correct ratchet crimping tool and heatshrink sleeving but if at all possible you should replace the two short lengths entirely.

Do NOT put any junction boxes under the floor.

or . . . floor socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back