Extending ring main to conservatory

MIH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to extend a ring main to provide electrical sockets into my conservatory. Electrics of a sort are currently provided by a damn great extension lead from the nearest socket, not of my making but I finally want to get around to doing it "properly".

The main problem is that there is only one usable socket nearby so extending out of one socket to another isn't an option. I've read that junction boxes are not the approved thing due to the need to accessibility for inspection purposes so no extended from the floor space.

What I planned to do was trace the cable back, from the socket in the wall to a suitable place above some cupboards. Here I would would break into the wall, cut the cable and extend the ring via junction boxes. These would be mounted on the wall, out of normal view but easily accessible for inspections.

Is this an acceptable to method or are there any other suggestions? Comments appreciated.

From what I've read this isn't notifiable but would be happy to hear one way or the other?

The cable would be in trunking from the point of extension to the sockets. I assume I can just use plastic trunking available from normal retail outlet, like Wickes or Scewfix, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The main problem is that there is only one usable socket nearby so extending out of one socket to another isn't an option.
Why not?

are there any other suggestions? Comments appreciated.
If you crimp the cable joins they don't have to be accessible.

Use this type of tool:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not one like this:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

From what I've read this isn't notifiable but would be happy to hear one way or the other?
As long as the location of the joints isn't in the kitchen it isn't notifiable.

The cable would be in trunking from the point of extension to the sockets. I assume I can just use plastic trunking available from normal retail outlet, like Wickes or Scewfix, etc.?
Yup.

• Thanks
Reactions: MIH
Depending on use / load requirements- why not take a single 2.5mm te from the nearest socket to a 13a fused spur (rcd type if the existing main ring doesn't have rcd protection at the board).

You can then run out a radial to as many sockets as you want, the trade off is that you will limit the total load on the new radial to 13a ) approx 3000w.

The advantage is 1 x cable with no need to run a return ring feed.

• Thanks
Reactions: MIH
The main problem is that there is only one usable socket nearby so extending out of one socket to another isn't an option.
Why not?

The next nearest sockets are on the kitchen circuit so I wouldn't be able to join back into it anyway and was trying to avoid extending that circuit for the obvious reason. The only other option would be to run the other end back up through the floor to a socket in the bedrooms but then that increases the work and the plan I'd come up with so far, seemed the "easiest".

Sponsored Links
Chri5, thanks for the suggestion.

I suppose my main concern was overloading it but 3000w will more than likely cover what I need anyway. It needs to cover a couple of lamps and a cd player, possibly leading up to a small LCD TV in the future.

I was looking at 2, possibly 3 double sockets, which should be more than enough. I thought was best to put in at least 3 whilst I'm doing the work, rather than chopping and changing later.

The ring circuit is already on RCB so the 13a fused spur would cover it.

The FCU idea is the way forward - nice and simple. 13A will be plenty for your conservatory.

Just think - if we didn't use these crazy-mad-mental ring circuits, there'd be none of this messing around.

The future is bright - the future is radial.

I suppose my main concern was overloading it but 3000w will more than likely cover what I need anyway. It needs to cover a couple of lamps and a cd player, possibly leading up to a small LCD TV in the future.

I was looking at 2, possibly 3 double sockets, which should be more than enough. I thought was best to put in at least 3 whilst I'm doing the work, rather than chopping and changing later.

The ring circuit is already on RCB so the 13a fused spur would cover it.

Do you intend to have heating in the room ? Hopefully not electric :D

It's a good idea to have a few sockets, just try to consider furniture and storage unit positions to get the best location for the sockets.

Do you intend to have heating in the room ? Hopefully not electric :D

Funny you should say that! :rolleyes: There's already heating in the room and yes, it's electric, hence the extra long extension lead the previous owners had "installed". I'm having that replaced with a radiator :D

The next nearest sockets are on the kitchen circuit
Are they actually in the kitchen?

so I wouldn't be able to join back into it anyway and was trying to avoid extending that circuit for the obvious reason.
1) As long as any work is done outside the kitchen it's not notifiable.

2) Generally you shouldn't prioritise non-notifiability over the right design...

Just think - if we didn't use these crazy-mad-mental ring circuits, there'd be none of this messing around.

The future is bright - the future is radial.
The future is here, the future is now, and the future has always been in the past - ring finals have never been mandatory and radials have always been allowed.

The kitchen has it's own circuit all to itself so all the sockets are within the kitchen. I could add to this circuit and notify but for the sake of a small piece of cable from the other socket, that isn't on the kitchen circuit, it doesn't seem worth it.

On the subject of the nearest kitchen socket, that would already be on a fused spur to which the washing machine and dishwasher are plugged into. I could extend this spur quite easily into the conservatory, by just going through the wall, but then would the items already on it be pushing the capacity of the spur?

The only other option with the kitchen circuit is to source it before it enters the kitchen but I have a feeling that would be more work than it's worth.

Both designs have their pros and cons and I certainly understand your point about the right design, that comes up quite often as a computer programmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back