Need to finish floor - How?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have moved into a property that has an extention that needs to have the floor finished. How is the best way to finish it and how. It needs to come up about 70-75mm. Size in Utility/Bathroom is approx 9ft x 18ft and Games room side is approx 13ft x 22ft.

I have been told by a few people that i could just put insulation underneath a floating floor. Is that possible?

Having said that as one part is a bathroom floor i would prefer a solid floor in there.

The bathroom still needs to be created and i need to put up a stud wall. Can i do that before screeding the floor or have i got to wait.

Thanks Richard

floor2.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would, lay a 6 mm polyethylene sheeting to provide a moisture vapour barrier, then some sleeper joist around the permitter of the rooms, and then some sleeper joist at 400mm centres wall to wall Insulate in between these, using celoxtex/kingspan then install a plywood floor.
I would not suggest installing a floor directly on to insulation unless it was another concrete screed.
There would be no point installing the stud wall until the floor is installed, just be aware of where you are installing it and make provisions when installing your floor joist, so you create good underfloor support and a good fixing point.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I don't know why i didn't think of doing that :confused: Will i have to leave any gaps for ventilation?

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I don't know why i didn't think of doing that :confused: Will i have to leave any gaps for ventilation?

Thanks

FULL FILL!

Leaving any gaps means air space which leads to condensation which leads to ventillation.

Fully fill leaving no gaps. Mastic any spaces or foam 'em.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Ok thats fine.

Going back to the sleeper joists around the perimeter i understand them but do the other 400mm sleeper joists have to sit on top of the these or just inside those, as if they have to sit on top i don't think there will be enough depth for it all.

Can i use the DPM and then a decking type system of 4x2 (ie: all one level) and then infill with the Kingspan and then put a 25mm board on top?

Cheers for the replies

Richard

They sit inside them, so the level is the same as the perimitter.
and the rest is as you have questioned.
It may be worth consdering on the floor, 18mm ply. Then an additional 6/7mm ply as substrate prior to covering the floor with tiles, laminate or what ever product you have in mind.
And remember to stagger the joints when laying it.

Common sense prevails again :D

Would i just nail the joints together? Or use brackets or something.

Cheers for the speedy replies

I would screw them together, pilot the screw holes, this will prevent them from splitting the timber. Have some packings available too, to ensure the floor will end up level.
When you install the ply floor, screw that down every 150mm, along the timber, and if you decide to install a substrate you can nail that with 25mm ring nails. You can also use hardboard as a substrate.

Thanks

I take it the joists don't need to be bolted down, they will just float so to speak?

Also where could i buy the DPM online?

So many questions - I'm sorry :oops:

Richard

Hi

I'm back :D

Having brought all the stuff i needed as per above details i have found that the floor is out by around 10-15mm further into the room. Most of it starts at 75mm when i come off the original floor but is upto around 85-90mm over the far side of the room.

Packings were mentioned earlier but what is the best way of packing it out as it will be long runs. Do i need to do it under the framework or on top but under the board?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back