Need to know where this wire on engine goes please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi as per heading I would like to know where this wire on my Briggs and Stratton engine goes. I am attaching a photo of the engine and the wire in question( pointed with red arrow) The green arrow shows where it is connected to the ignition coil using a female/male connector. I think it is the wire that takes charge the from the coil to the battery and have been given the impression from a very good video I watched that it goes to the I (ignition) connector on the key ignition switch that I have. Can someone please confirm this . Thanks in advance James

PS At the moment the other end from the attached one to the coil is not connected to anything at the moment
wire.jpg

Sponsored Links
If the wire connects directly into the coil, its a cut out wire......the engine will produce a spark when turned, but the spark will cease when the wire is grounded to the machine metalwork.
John :)

Hi John, Thanks for your response. The wire connects to a metal male "prong" using a female connector as shown with red arrow in photo of another similar coil here.
I was given the impression that the other end is connected to the I on the key switch. If correct does that mean that this I connector creates an earth connection when the key is turned to off position and hence the engine stops? Would it be also possible to put a cut off button halfway on this wire at some stage so that even when the key was in on position the button would create a connection and cause the engine to stop in an emergency? ( Hope that makes sense)
Also there is an orange wire that comes out from the engine but I cant see its origin. I was told by the seller that this is the charge wire. Presumably this means for keeping the charge up of the battery while engine is going. Where does this wire go to, is it connected to the ignition key switch.Really appreciate your advice
James
COIL.jpg

You are correct concerning the operation of the ignition switch.....have you checked out the wiring diagram from your earlier post? Obviously the wire colour is important.
Anyway, these engines have a flywheel magneto and only need a battery to spin them over to start up.
The battery is charged up via wires coming from under the flywheel to a voltage regulator/ rectifier unit which is usually bolted to the side of the engine.....it will have fins to keep it cool, as a rule.
Simple charging systems have only one wire and a diode, more complex ones will have three or more wires and the regulator.
Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, it looks like it is is only a one wire setup from what the seller told me. Can you let me know what this wire is connected to? I am assuming, maybe wrongly to the positive on the battery?
Thanks

If it is a charging wire then yes, it will eventually go to the battery positive.
However, before diving in I’d be inclined to so some testing once the engine is running.....you would want to see a DC output of around 14volts - both easy enough to check with a basic multimeter. Its best not to have the wire connected to anything at this time.
A typical diode is encased in a plastic sheath which may or may not be there.

Cheers John. I may have a question or two about exhaust system over the next couple of days. Would be great to get some more info if not too much trouble

A pleasure, no trouble at all.
Just remind me which engine this is though, next time.....from memory its a Briggs Vanguard Vee twin?

Sponsored Links
Back