Need to seal lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: For some time now, I have been trying to locate a mysterious leak in the ceiling of my garage - this forms part of a relatively new extension to the house.

The (sloping) roof is well tiled but does include some lead flashing around the dormer window of the bedroom above.

Although this flashing is in good repair, it has been suggested that rainwater may be getting in somewhere and that I should try to apply an adhesive to the flashing, particularly where the pieces overlap.

Can anyone please suggest a suitable adhesive for this task.

Sponsored Links
Roofs should be rainproof with no adhesive. If you have to use glue you will have a problem sooner or later when the glue breaks down. (Leaking flat roofs). Sufficient overlap is the best thing.

There should be flashing along the entire edge of where the extention roof meets the wall (not just around a window). As Oilman says, if it is fitted properly, no adhesive should be necessary. Adhesive is, at best, a bodge. More often a complete waste of time.

Any chance of some pictures?

You might find this is covered by your household insurance.

My parents had a recurring problem with a leaky flat roof. None of the simple fixes worked. So, it was fixed on the insurance and all of the damage done by the water to the dining room ceiling was also repaired.

Sponsored Links
Agree with everyone! Dont make mistake of doing half a job, it'll only come back and back and back!! U got the mssge? :evil:
You might think ' i'll try to fix it by sticking something on over the suspected area' and seeing how it goes. But past experience tells me it 'll probally cost you more $$$ and stress in the long run. :(

Are the roofing tiles flat or profiled?

Many flat tiles will leak under lead flashings even though the lead may seem perfectly sound if there are not soakers or grp secret gutters fitted.

This is because the wind blows the rainwater running down from the valley straight under the lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back