Need to unscreew and re-screew floorboards question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Iv recently moved into a house with crappy woodchip floorboards, in one room I have placed screews about in inch from every nail. This has improved things, but on a few spots it still creaks a little.

A frend told me that I should have used a nail punch on the nails before adding screws, this would have made sure that the floor boards would have been as close to the joists as posible before adding screws...I didnt do this and im wondering if I should.

So, my question is this....

If I remove the screws and then quickly go over the room with a nail punch will I have problems putting the screews back? the screws would have created a thread thought the joist/chipboard, once the chipboard has been nailed down can the screew be placed back and still grip everything without distroying the thread that was origanaly created?

Is there maybe any compound I could add the the holes to alow eveything to grip again.

Or am i worrying about nothing?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Driving the screws will pull the boards into the joists tightly, so it sounds to me like your chum was talking rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back