Neff Dishwasher Top Arm Rotation - Diverter issue or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Neff Dishwasher (S5555X0GB/70) - Top Spray arm not functioning but bottom arm running fine. Have removed, cleaned and checked repeatedly. Researching I'm wondering if it's the diverter not switching (i.e. replace instantaneous heater block) but very expensive and time consuming if I'm wrong. Also wondering that when I replaced the door seal I noticed gunk in the top of the plastic 'metering?' section (the plastic matrix of lots of vertical pipes on the LHS at the back of the machine - not sure what this is or is called if I'm honest) Could this be the issue (a block possibly)? Don't want to replace the heater if that's not the problem? If it is the heater I understand it's underneath the machine, but is it a relatively straight forward repair or a nightmare? Thanks for any guidance.

Sponsored Links
if it's just the top arm, a common problem is at the back of the upper basket where there are 2 holes, one of those goes over a piece at the back of the dishwasher when the basket is pushed back.
There should be a plastic ball inside that part, which blocks the other hole when water flows. If that has stuck or fallen out, there will be no water flow to the upper spray arm.

There will also be a rubber seal either at the back of the machine or in the section attached to the basket - if that has failed, water will leak resulting in low pressure to the spray arm.

Hi,
Many thanks flameport for the response. I'm assuming that you mean there should be a plastic ball in the arm, i.e. the piece that slides in and out with the drawer. I'm not aware of a plastic ball within that part. One problem I did have was that the flexible plastic 'gasket' within the arm has chipped on one port and this was probably causing a bad seal. Fortunately I had another arm which also had the same damage. So I've dismantled both cut the gaskets in half and put the two good sections into one arm (photo below). In both cases I didn't encounter a ball within the arm section. As a fall back I have a new arm on order and I'll be curious to see if that has a ball or not. I suspect on my model the ball isnt needed as there is only one outlet for the water and the other port should be blocked by the profile of the back plate? When I ran the dishwasher this evening, I did see that the top arm was rotating, however this morning it was not. I'm therefore wondering if the top arm only runs during specific parts of the cleaning cycle or that the problem is intermittent? A glass door right now would be hugely helpful....

Thanks again and do let me know if you have any further thoughts....

neff2.jpg

neff1.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could test the top tray by removing and sticking a hosepipe in feed to check rotating correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back