NEFF Induction hob tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This week the circuit which the hob is on seemed to cause the RCD to trip. It is the kitchen ring main and as far as I can see there are no spurs, the hob is connected via a manufacturers integrated 13A plug. This ring has an MCB and is on the RCD controlled side of the CU. All the circuits on that side tripped along with the RCD. When I tried to switch them back the two other circuits were fine but as soon as the hob circuit MCB was reset it tripped again. The strange thing is that the hob wasn’t being used at any of these times and probably the only thing running would have been the fridge-freezer.
An electrician came around but didn’t do any testing other than trying the MCBs and everything was OK. He suggested moving the whole circuit to the non-RCD side of the CU to avoid further occurrences.
I know these sort of hobs sometimes have high earth leakage and can cause trips but I assume they have to be in use for this to occur and also it seems to be debatable whether they need an RCD or not.
I would be grateful for any comments as to whether this is a satisfactory and legal thing to do.
….
Another possibility I thought may be to spur off the dedicated electric cooker cable - which is on the non RCD side of the CU and would be quite easy to do - but again not sure about safety and legality.
Would like to be better informed before getting any work done.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought that possibly the hob is faulty & should be repaired before any alterations to the supply, especially if it has worked ok for some time.

Have you thought that possibly the hob is faulty & should be repaired before any alterations to the supply, especially if it has worked ok for some time.
Yes that’s a possibility, but I’d also like to know what alterations are possible/recommended as there are quite a few anecdotal cases of non-faulty induction hobs causing this sort of problem due to inherent relatively high earth leakage.

edit: we had a similar occurrence probably 2 years ago or more with the current setup, but then no problem until this one.

Sponsored Links
Did all of the MCB's trip or do you mean the RCD tripped stopping power to all the MCB's on that side?
I wouldn't want to make any circuit less safe by removing an RCD - Especially feeding something you have pans of water on!. I think you need a different electrician.

Did all of the MCB's trip or do you mean the RCD tripped stopping power to all the MCB's on that side?
I wouldn't want to make any circuit less safe by removing an RCD - Especially feeding something you have pans of water on!. I think you need a different electrician.
We’ll both I suppose, as I said all the circuits on the RCD side of the CU tripped, and all the MCBS were in the off position when I looked at them immediately after the incident.

The sparky said to move the circuit to the non RCD side......Get another sparky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back