New circuit for induction hob, rcd tripped off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had an electrician install a new 45A circuit for an induction hob (replaced the gas hob). It is connected to a 63A RCD in a split load consumer unit (Other RCD is 80A) along with the rest of the kitchen appliances oven/microwave/etc).

While cooking dinner yesterday, we had the oven, microwave and induction hob (2 rings) all going and the RCD tripped. I'm not sure, but I think it happened when we turned the microwave on. I flipped the RCD back on and it was all OK again.

Is it possible/likely that we were drawing more than 63A? How can I test/check this? Is it possible to get my electrician back to upgrade the RCD a higher current?

Is it possible to test whether an RCD is getting 'close' to the amp rating?

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
I think it more likely there was a slight Earth leakage that tripped it rather than overload but difficult to be certain.

An RCD won't trip on overload, they don't (can't) even detect it. MCBs provide over current protection, the RCD provides earth leakage protection.

Sponsored Links
:oops:

I'll just go back to dribbling uncontrollably in my wing chair.....

I knew it was over something ...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back