Sharing a microwave and oven on same cooker circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.

This maybe a silly Q as I have little knowledge of UK electrics.

I am refurbing the kitchen and am looking at obtaining a induction hob, a microwave/frill and a oven.
The hob is fused 13amp, microwave is fused 16amp and oven is fused 15amp.
Can the hob be on the normal circuit and the microwave and oven share the cooker circuit?

One electrician did say we've need a new 6mm supply but that would be cost prohibitive as the fuse box is right on the other coroner of my large house. I'm trying to avoid that!

Any advice welcome. :)

Salik.

Sponsored Links
The hob is fused 13amp, microwave is fused 16amp and oven is fused 15amp.
Mmmm.

Can the hob be on the normal circuit and the microwave and oven share the cooker circuit?
If it comes with a UK plug then yes.

They could probably all go on your cooker circuit.
What are the actual ratings - Wattages - of the appliances?

Sponsored Links
2790W @ 240V is 11.625 Amps
2100W @ 240V is 8.75 A

A total of 4,890W and 21.375 A

This is very small.
On a 32A 6mm² standard cooker circuit you could have cooking appliances of 20,000W and 83.33A.
This is because even when on, cooking appliances, because of their thermostats, cycle on and off all the time - more off than on.

So the recommended fuse ratings seem to not have much to do with anything.
More likely it is said that the microwave should be on a 16A circuit as that is what they have in Europe.
Where the 15A fuse comes from is a mystery these days (used to be but not for ages).

So you could easily have them all on the cooker circuit.
You could put a socket on it for the hob (or all three) if you wanted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back