Negative to earth fault on lighting circuit at consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The RCD on the master switch where the supply enters the house tripped, completely out of the blue, with no work or alteration’s having taken place.

I have traced the fault to the ground floor lighting circuit, specifically the feed from the consumer unit to the lights. My multimeter registers continuity across negative and earth on the wires exiting the consumer unit at a junction box immediately after the consumer unit, but only when there is a supply from the master switch. If the master switch is off, there is no continuity. Sometimes the continuity pulses on and off, when there is power to the consumer unit but other times it is continuous. I also detect c7.5v across positive and negative on the same cable at the junction box when the supply is on.

The fault is not consistent; having had the lighting MCB off overnight I switched it on this morning and nothing tripped for at least one hour, and this has been the same a few times now. Previously, the master RCD would trip as soon as the lighting MCB was switched on, and that is what happens now.

The circuit has been fine since first wired more than 15 years ago, so I am puzzled as to what is going on. Can anyone suggest what may be causing the fault, please?

Sponsored Links
There is no positive and negative in AC.
There will often be continuity between neutral and earth when main switch is on at CU.
Do you have any external lights on the circuit in question ?

Thanks for your reply,

No external lights, just one cluster of 3 led spot lights off a one way switch , one led spot off a one way, and one cluster of three led spots off three switches, all indoors in the same room

Are they the only light fittings on the circuit ,none in any other room ?
No bathroom or kitchen extractor fans ,burglar alarms , smoke alarms ,anything else on the circuit at all ?

Sponsored Links
I have traced the fault to the ground floor lighting circuit, specifically the feed from the consumer unit to the lights. My multimeter registers continuity across negative and earth on the wires exiting the consumer unit at a junction box immediately after the consumer unit, but only when there is a supply from the master switch. If the master switch is off, there is no continuity.
That is how it should be.

You need to disconnect both L and N, at the consumer unit end, then retest, for your N to E fault. You may find it disappears.

You need to disconnect both L and N, at the consumer unit end, then retest, for your N to E fault. You may find it disappears.
I think I was sent of track by finding continuity between negative and earth at the junction box, which replies have told me is expected and normal. I have a hunch that the fault that is tripping the RCD is between the junction box and one of the single lights, as with this disconnected the others didn’t trip the RCD,but maybe that’s also a red herring, as the fault is not always immediate. My next step could be to isolate this light at the junction box and see what happens.

Are all of the downstairs lights connected into this junction box ? That would be odd .

Show us a picture of the wiring in the J/box please.
21BDB9EE-E629-4287-BE7D-187920736DCA.jpeg

If you are convinced there exists a fault on that circuit, that JB - best thing to do, is disconnect all of those wires and test each twin and earth separately, to determine which of the four exhibits the fault. No need for any notes as to what goes where - all the reds together, all the blacks, all the earths.

The usual warning applies - of turning the power off, before touching it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back