Neighbors boundry

P

pete121

Can someone tell me how much Gap there should be between my neighbors garden and my new extension wall?

Previously there was a fence between us, that's now been removed.
The foots are 600 wide right up to the neighbors garden. The wall needs to be set back but i'm not sure how much exactly, Im worried the guttering may overhang into there garden.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm a little confused. I dont understand, you could have asked me this is the first reply.

I dont know how wide the guttering is, its to go on a single pitched roof. The pitch of roof will fall towards my neighbors house.

Please answer the question. Also, how far do you predict the truss ends will overhang the outer face of the outer skin?

Lucky you said that last bit, for a moment I thought the pitched would be falling away from your neighbours house.

I thought you would appreciate the piecemeal revelations throughout the thread?

I've already anwered your question, I dont know how wide the guttering will be and neither do i know how far the tuss would come out. As least as possible i should think giving the circumstances.

I'll just clarify i'm not the builder, i have a buider who will be building the walls and the roof. To prevent problems i thought i'd get a few opionions incase the builder gets it wrong.

Thankyou

So you don't know how wide the gutter will be.

You also do not know how far the truss ends will overhang.

One assumes you also do not know how thick the fascia will be either?

So given that these three factors are required in order to work out how far the eaves overhang and subsequently how far you need to build the wall how do you expect to be able make a decision as to what the gap between the boundary and your wall should be?

Do you think your builder will know the answer to any of these questions?

I did mention this to the bricky, hes also doing the roof.

He said hes going to build 4inch's back from neighbours boundry. as he will be building off the middle of the footings (not sure what he meant).

He seemed like he knows what he's doing, but im not sure. I dont want any problems with then neighbors, and i especially dont want to be the cause of any upset.

Does 4inch from the boundry seem enough space for all the roof overhang guttering etc?
It may be a vague question and may not be able to advice without seeing. but if anyone has some idea then id be very happy to hear there opinions.

P.s All we'd like is to provide enough space for the guttering. As for the overhang + fasia boards im not sure if they're necessary, if yes than we'd only want the minimum. Just enough to serve the purpose.

Thankyou

It sounds to me as though your builder is intending to install the fascia board hard up against the outside of the external skin, i.e. no soffit.
So assuming the minimum guttering of approx 76mm diameter, there's room for approx 25mm fascia board. But the gutter brackets will add about another 5mm.
So you might find that you're overhanging by 10mm or so, but I wouldn't think anyone will be bothered by that.

If any ventilation to the roof space is required that can still be accomodated by over fascia ventilation.

He said hes going to build 4inch's back from neighbours boundry. as he will be building off the middle of the footings (not sure what he meant).
4" is no where near enough to include a soffit, fascia and gutter.

More like 340mm (13"ish).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back