argument with neighbor regarding rendering on our terraced wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a terraced house and yesterday evening my neighbor told me that he is removing the rendering on the back end of his house as there is a crack and water is coming into a bedroom. My side is completely dry. He says its only a matter of time before my side starts to crack and wants to take the render off on my side about 2 foot to the edge of the window so that the join is on my side his new render to my old render. I took photos close up of my render and it seems fine - no cracks etc.

I spoke to a mate who does some building work and he said that it would be a bad idea to have such a join on my side of the property and that the join should be in the exact middle and he told me to tell my neighbor that. my neighbor says that having the join in the middle puts his property at risk in the future. Wants me to contribute and agree to have the join on my side.

thoughts?

I enclose copy photo - my side is the one with the white window and he wants the join at the bottom of the edge of my window and up.

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 593
Sponsored Links
he has also said its costing him £3000 to have that wall done hence why he wants me to pay a contribution

Tell him politely but firmly NO!
And monitor the work.

It's up to you whether you are happy to club together, depends on neighbourly relations and funds more than legal arguments. If neighbourly relations are no issue then tell him to keep it on his side. Tbh it sounds like either a try on or he has been advised and doesn't really know himself.

Sponsored Links
he has now said that if he damages my render when getting his off he will not bother to repair it as i am refusing to give him a contribution. surely it does not cost £3000 anyway to render one wall.

surely by putting the join next to my window it could cause issues for me in the future rather than having it straight down the middle where the existing join is - i assume new render does not fix easilly to old stuff

He nees to disk cut a vertical joint on the centre line, and insert a stainless steel bead joint and seal it with mastic. This would involve removing about 100mm of render on your side of the line so as to fix the metal bead in and render over it.

A Render Plus Pvc expansion bead would also work - and only need 50mm of render removing from either side of the line.

OP, the verge on the neighbour's flat roof is overhanging your property - perhaps someone gave permission for this back in the day?

I noticed the overhang today when taking photos.

They have now cut a line down the middle. Their Builder wants £50 to patch a 5 inch square patch between the sills. He said it would be easier to cut across to my window at top but told him not to do that. He said my render was solid above the patch between sill.

Can I simply patch this piece myself . See photo below. I assume £50 is a bit steep

Attachments

• 20160929_174511.jpg
    20160929_174511.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 319
Whats intended with the slot, as advised above you need a 200mm or a 100mm wide chase- what next?
The rip should go down as far as possible without disturbing any lead flashing or bottom edge beading.

Previous, when the neighbour had his render/dash installed the plasterer made a crude sand and cement join between his new and your old render.

I'd suggest that the patch was caused by the removal of the neighbour's old window cill?

Your dash around the window reveal is in a poor way - it was maybe done when the window was changed to Pvc?
Your metal angle bead is exposed and will eventually rust out causing the render & dash to blow.

Your neighbour sounds like a complete asshole !!

And £50 is way too much for a 5 minute repair. Sort it out yourself, but as your neighbour is such an idiot, get photos before and after, just in case his aunties car won't start after you have done the repair or something

Here is the gap he has cut. They have now left for the day

Attachments

• 20160929_174342.jpg
    20160929_174342.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 367
  • 20160929_171525.jpg
    20160929_171525.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 341
Are you saying he's paying three grand to render that gable wall? What's his address. I'd like to get on his contractor list.

I had a neighbour like this once after a swift physical dispute... he moved 6 weeks later :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back