Neighbors extension party wall problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I live in a terraced house and some contractors have purchased the neighboring house to renovate which includes an extension to the rear. There used to be a small lean to on all the houses, of which one wall forms the party boundary. On my side, I had the lean to knocked down and the party wall rendered and painted on my side. The contractors have also knocked down the lean to, but have built a new extension. However, I am not happy with the work they have done for the following reasons:
- The way the roof has been detailed means it over hangs on to my side of the party wall. They didnt ask permission to do this. I am also concerned that this would make it more difficult for me if I wished to extend my property if the future, as I would have to modify their roof.
- They have left part of the wall in a poor state of repair
- They didnt get a party wall agreement.

I am not sure how to handle this, can anyone give any advice? Should I call building control? Also if there anything else which people think I should be concerned about in regards to how the roof if detailed?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20170128_165013 (Medium).jpg
    20170128_165013 (Medium).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 322
Sponsored Links
1. What did the previous lean-to roof do? From the sloping line of the top of the render it looks like it had an overhang before.
2. They need to cap off the top of the wall and make it weather proof. Rain will soak into the wall as it is and probably cause damp internally and blow your render.
3. I'm not sure they would have needed one and it's too late now anyway.

Can't see anything particularly wrong with roof although if they got those mortar snots on the shed roof you ask them to clean it off, or for the sake of 2 minutes work just do it yourself.

Yeah the roof did slope before but it was flush to the wall.

From what I can understand the party wall act they almost certainly should have had a party wall agreement, to cover the changes to the wall, changes to the roof and digging off foundations for the extension.

That does not look like a party wall, if so the PW Act won't help.

Nor will building control be of help as it's nothing to do with them.

Potentially the overhang is a planning issue as it's not in accordance with permitted development criteria (crossing the boundary) but I doubt they will bother.

That just leaves either to ask them nicely, or take out a civil action for trespass.

Sponsored Links
Would a Line of Junction notice not apply? Part of the party wall act, for building up to and/or astride a boundary?

Not that it may apply now as the building work has started.

Maybe speak to a local chartered party wall surveyor and see what they say or at least get an opinion as to a course of action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back