Neighbour blocked access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a terraced house which I should have access along the next couple of houses directly behind the house.
The new owner of next door, who renys in air bnb has replaced the gate with a piece of panel.

I called him and he said all I have to do us remove 2 screws at the top to get through.
Hardly convenient.

Any thoughts on this please?

The neighbours further along moved the access gate partway down the garden as he has built a corrugated plastic store at the back of his house.
(He also lives in a wooden structure in the garden and rents out the house and a van.

Sponsored Links
the official right off way is where its says on the deeds
people can agree something else for their convenience
but the default is to the deeds

remove the screws

don't put them back

you might fashion a hook and eye or other convenient latch for yourself

Sponsored Links
Designated access means either open or via a gate or such like, and not a fixed panel.

You will need to pursue a legal route if you can't persuade the owner to make other arrangements for your access

I've always found these odd arrangements, archaic even, and definitely awkward that there can have randomers walking across other's back gardens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back