Neighbour creating concrete city

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my neighbour are lucky enough to enjoy large gardens (about 32' x 125'). Drainage ain't the best and my garden is damp all through summer. My bodge job neighbour has had a great idea to slab what seems all of his garden. He's currently upto about 900' sq. I'm concerned about what this means for my drainage. Is he allowed to do this, seen as though the average drive now need planning for drainage issues?

Sponsored Links
On a paved area that size he will need to capture water and drain it to somewhere. Simply hoping it will run off and disperse is not an option. You main concern would be making sure he is not simply directing run off towards your garden.

As far as i understand it suds legislation is only to do with driveways but you should contact your local authority for more info.

If I were in your situation, I would only raise a concern if rain water ran towards my house foundations or towards my garden soaking it, as long as he has used a correct slope and allows his rain water to run off into some drain then I cannot see any issues, after all if he din't pave it, the rain water would still penetrate his garden and end up somewhere underneath in soil, I know there is nothing like a nice green lawn and nicely kept garden, but many people now a days are too lazy to maintain such big gardens, my next door never does his garden up, and is full off blue and white bells, which have started to spread well into my garden border I left for planting shrubs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Turns out he is paving the entire garden. He's a bodge job and he hasn't thought about drainage. I've decided to grow a run of large hedging along the border. It will block my view of the concrete jungle and help avoid run off coming my way and secure the soil a bit! Neighbours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back