Neighbour removing chimney breast - building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My neighbour has recently removed his rear chimney breast on the wall shared between our properties with our permission.

We are in the process of selling and our buyer has asked for a copy of the building control certificate.

Is it possible to obtain one? I have approached our neighbour and he appears reluctant. I'm guessing this may because he sticks to himself and is not a particularly helpful person. Not that I have ever had any problems with him at all, just one or two others have. I suspect he does have a certificate as he would want one when it came to selling.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The buyer can not ask you for that because it is not in the public domain.
Is it the buyer's solicitor who has asked for this?

The neighbours building work has nothing to do with your house sale, and the buyer has no right to expect you to provide a certificate for a neighbours building work

While you are at it, ask for copies of the neighbours gas and electrical inspections, and also ask if they have done any other work that you can have copies for your records.

When you get all of these, stick them up the buyers arse

Alternatively, just tell the buyer he is having a laugh, and to do one

Yes the request has come from the buyers solicitor. Is it something I can request as it incorporate work on a party wall with possible risk of damage to our property?

Sponsored Links

Yes the request has come from the buyers solicitor. Is it something I can request as it incorporate work on a party wall with possible risk of damage to our property?

No.
(I suspected it would be the solicitor asking for this because most solicitors seem to know *** all about Planning and Building Regulations).

removing a chimney breast require building regultion approval yopur neighbou should have notified building control and as thid comes within the party wall act they swi8l have notifiedv and gained. throwb the ball back to him tll him what you solicitors are charging ,that`ll make him think
you permission prior to startng. ithink a regularisation certificate is now required from building control as it was your neighbour ho removed the breast it is their resonsibility to get one. alot of people have removed chimney breasts but do`nt realise thes are par of the structural integrity of the buildin addinlateral stability think of thiscenario two cimney breasts are removed that were built with the property you left with a single brick wall supporting perhps floors on3 levels with no lateral restraint thats why they have to comply with building regultions and your spot on about solicitors just passing the buck judtifying his 400£ an hour bill gets somebody to send a letter on minimum wage and the fee goes up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back