Neighbouring Trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an ex council end of terrace house, at the end of the terrace there is a green area with a row of now very mature trees planted there, my concerns are that six years or so ago I had to have major underpinning work done to the end foundations of my house and the reason for having to have the work done was firmly blamed on the roots of the trees now very much under the house and sucking up all the moisture. My problem now is that these trees are getting bigger by the year and I fear that if the council does not manage them properly then more damage will occur in my house. I have asked the council to trim down the trees or better still to remove the tree that is immediately threatening my home but my complaints have gone unanswered by the council. Now my question, does anyone know of any laws that I can use to force the council into acting.

Sponsored Links
These trees are causing a 'nuisance'.

I don't mean a nuisance in the sense of they are a nuisance - even though they are. I mean they are a 'nuisance' in the legal sense.

There are two types of nuisance; public nuisance and private nuisance. These trees are causing a public nuisance.

I would go to the council and tell them that you have been advised that the trees are causing a public nuisance and that they are responsible for abating that nuisance and that if they do not take action then you will sue them for damages.

It will frighten the life out of them

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back