neighbours 5m signle storey rear extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi forum,

My neighbor has a 3m extnsion because of which I did not have much sun light into my kitchen area, so I did a 3m rear extension last year before the change to the permitted development :(; now my neighbor is knocking down his extension and wants to do a 5m extension which will put me back to the same situation as earlier with less / no sunlight into the kitchen diner.

I have sent my objection to council's notice stating the loss of sunlight and sense of enclosure. My question is will the council look into it seriously or they say it is under the new guidelines and permit him to construct?

My other neighbor is also not happy with the proposal as it will cutoff sunlight into his garden and conservatory, he has also sent his objection.

Are any of the members aware of any cases of rejection for a rear 5m extension under the new PD rules?

This guy has already done a loft conversion spanning the whole width of the house, which does block sunlight into the garden.

Do I have any chance of restricting the proposed extension or have to put up with it because of Mr.Cameron's stupid amendment to the PD which is causing rift amongst the neighbors and against his much emphasized big society.

Thanks for your time and advise.

Regards,

Sponsored Links
Neighbours cannot object to works carried out under Permitted Development. Well, you could but it wouldn't be acknowledged as the works do not require Planning approval.

Due to the recent change and relaxation in PD rights, applicants can extend up to 6m and 8m respectively, but which is subject to a neighbour consultation scheme of which neighbours can object.

Neighbours cannot object to works carried out under Permitted Development. Well, you could but it wouldn't be acknowledged as the works do not require Planning approval.

Due to the recent change and relaxation in PD rights, applicants can extend up to 6m and 8m respectively, but which is subject to a neighbour consultation scheme of which neighbours can object.

So what are the chances of getting a result as a result of raising an objection? if they are not considering the objection then what is the point of neighbor consultation scheme?

I'd agree with the OP's thoughts, I thougt that was the point of the neighbour consultation scheme........if your neighbour don't agree to over 3m (semi's + terraced) then you can only extend by 3m under PD?

Sponsored Links
As at least one neighbour has objected to the scheme, the council will look at the application solely on the issue of amenity.

If the council believes that it will be detrimental to the amenity of any adjoining property, it will advise that it is not permitted development. On the other hand, if the council believes there will be no serious affect on amenity, it will confirm that the application is permitted development and can go ahead.

Who knows how your council will see it? - it's up to them.

if they are not considering the objection then what is the point of neighbor consultation scheme?

I didn't say that. If it's PD, then it cannot be objected. But these extended rules give people to object so yes, the Council can and will take objections seriously.

Just out of interest, do you know why your neighbour is knocking down a 3m extension to re-build a 5m extension and not just add 2m onto the existing? :rolleyes: Depending when the extension was built, the new extension would have to comply with the current Building Regulations whereas a 2m extension would be the only part. Would save a lot of cost in construction, not only the LA fees.

if they are not considering the objection then what is the point of neighbor consultation scheme?

I didn't say that. If it's PD, then it cannot be objected. But these extended rules give people to object so yes, the Council can and will take objections seriously.

Just out of interest, do you know why your neighbour is knocking down a 3m extension to re-build a 5m extension and not just add 2m onto the existing? :rolleyes: Depending when the extension was built, the new extension would have to comply with the current Building Regulations whereas a 2m extension would be the only part. Would save a lot of cost in construction, not only the LA fees.

The current rear structure is flat roof and from outside doesn't seem to be that good. His plans shows the new extension to have a kitchen and dining with two windows and a door facing the garden and two velux windows in the roof. New roof is to be tiles with highest point of 3.65 metres and height at the eaves of 2.6 metres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back