Neighbours chimney leakin water into our house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I bought an old house recently In a terraced row. Each house has a chimney of its own to the right side of the roof. My neighbours chimney to my left is cracked and falling down. Water from around it has been weeping into our loft until yesterday when after a heavy day of rain one of the bedroom ceiling fell in.
What do I do now? It’s the neighbours responsibility surely?

Sponsored Links
Not an option it’s a renovation project but that’s not the point.

Before the chimney falls down and makes a total mess (or kill someone) your neighbour must do something.
Give them 7 days and if they don't do anything, make it safe yourself and bill them.

Sponsored Links
Contact the building control officer at the local council as soon as possible. Explain the chimney appears to be in need of urgent repair before it collapses and causes damage to property and possibly injury to people.

They should then send an officer to inspect the chimney and then if necessary the council can issue a dangerous structure requiring the owner to have the chimney made safe.

Will see what he says first. I’ve got photos of it and had a roofer look today. But that may be the way I have to go as in needs to be sorted asap.

Before the chimney falls down and makes a total mess (or kill someone) your neighbour must do something.
Give them 7 days and if they don't do anything, make it safe yourself and bill them.
..... and kiss goodbye to your money. ;)

Contact the building control officer at the local council as soon as possible. Explain the chimney appears to be in need of urgent repair before it collapses and causes damage to property and possibly injury to people.

They should then send an officer to inspect the chimney and then if necessary the council can issue a dangerous structure requiring the owner to have the chimney made safe.
Sounds like a better option

Spoke to neighbour just now. Says he will go to insurance tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed.

Next doors insurance or yours will pay for the ceiling damage to be repaired but the maintenance of the chimney will be down to it's owner.

Start looking for recommendations for a local tradesman to repair the chimney and pass the info on to the neighbour.

My chimney had leaks and was causing leaks into my neighbour so I had it re pointed, it turned out that it needed rebuilding so that was done, the total cost was about £600 so not too bad as now I have no worries about it falling down or leaking etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back