Neighbour's downpipe draining into ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a fairly typical 30s semi. My neighbour recently had his house re-guttered and they added a new downpipe at the join of mine and his property.

Initially it drained straight into the ground at the foot of the building (there's a flower bed there). I told my neighbour that this wasn't correct, so he said he'd raise it with his contractor. Their solution was to extend 10' of pipe from the outlet away from the house so it now drains into the ground under a bush that forms the boundary between the properties.

This is the second of 2 downpipes he has draining his roof (to give an idea of the volume of water). Is this a real threat to my (our) property's foudations and hence something that's worth pursuing further? Would a survey of my property (when I come to sell) pick up on this as an issue with my property?

Sponsored Links
Their solution was to extend 10' of pipe from the outlet away from the house so it now drains into the ground under a bush that forms the boundary between the properties.
In no way is that compliant with Building Regs. where did the surface water previously drain?

This is the second of 2 downpipes he has draining his roof (to give an idea of the volume of water).
Tell your neighbour he must either get it done properly by providing a suitably sized & BR compliant soak-away (5 meters form the boundary) or your going to dob him into Building Control. They may allow him to connect into an existing surface water drain or even the foul drain system if there is no other alternative but it’s his responsibility to sort it out.

Is this a real threat to my (our) property's foudations and hence something that's worth pursuing further?
Could well be a problem in the long term, that’s why any soak-away now has to 5 metres min from the property.

Would a survey of my property (when I come to sell) pick up on this as an issue with my property?
Could do if the surveyor notices damp or wet patches on the lawn.

In no way is that compliant with Building Regs. where did the surface water previously drain?

Previously there was only a single down-pipe at the farthest corner (as the crow-flies) from the new downpipe. The second one was added because the contractor believed a single one to be insufficient. He may be right about that, but everyone else on the street has added the second one on the flank wall and drained both into the same gulley.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back