Neighbours Drain Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Urgent Help Please!

I have found the leak I have been looking for three days. I thought it was my gully leaking filling my new foundations for my new extension.

The leak is from next doors drain. Having spent three long hard days and dug half the drive I have not been to locate the leak. This leak has not only damaged my wall but has also stopped my project dead. I cannot build until this leak is fixed. It appears the leak has formed a route from neighbours drive through my drive finishing next to my main gully. On a day I am getting a good 10-15 gallons of water.

I haven't given up but I have had enough. What is the best solution to this problem. Who do I contact to assist me locate the leak and what sort of charges should I expect. Thanks in advance.

Please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
Basecoat said:
Hi All

It appears the leak has formed a route from neighbours drive through my drive finishing next to my main gully. On a day I am getting a good 10-15 gallons of water.

Erm!
Why not go speak to your neighbour! He may be hostile (mine is very hostile) but if it’s his drain it’s his responsibility!

If its his drain then you should be the one being hostile!

Classic legal case of a guy who built a resevoir on his land which broke and flooded adjoining land, and subsequently a mine.

Your neighbour has a legal duty to keep his things on his land.

Rylands v Fletcher. Give him a bit of legal speak and he will get his drain fixed within the hour.

He is liable to any costs for loss of working, delay to the build etc etc

Swiss Tony said:
If its his drain then you should be the one being hostile!

Classic legal case of a guy who built a resevoir on his land which broke and flooded adjoining land, and subsequently a mine.

Your neighbour has a legal duty to keep his things on his land.

Rylands v Fletcher. Give him a bit of legal speak and he will get his drain fixed within the hour.

He is liable to any costs for loss of working, delay to the build etc etc

Hi "Swiss Tony"

We are on good terms but there is a limit how far I can go. I reckon if I got water board or drain repair firm in it would have cost in the region of £1500. I told him this couple of times each time his face dropped. Materials have cost less than £200. You rightly point out the problem is his. He got the job done very cheap. The standard of work is high.

I have decided to ask him for cost of materials as he helped me with digging of my foundations. I have located the leaks one from collapsed drain and the other ground water seeping under boundary wall.

The leaks have cost me a fortnight of lost work on my extension and additional work to locate and fix the leaks. I have to spend this weekend trying to put everything back and return to some normality and massive clean up of my new foundations before I start building. Right now I am grinning and bearing but ain't a happy person.

Sponsored Links
JC_Derby said:
wouldnt a collapsed drain be covered under his house insurance?

Hi"JC_Derby"

The neighbour started having nightmares simply at the thought of costs of fixing such a complex breakdown. It doesn't bare thinking what would have happened if he had to claim on his home insurance or if had to pay the quoted sum £560 plus VAT for the repairs.

Your neighbour has a legal requirement to maintain sewers on his land unless thay have been adopted by the water company.
If you give them a call they should get things rolling nicely.
Pete

Fluffster said:
Your neighbour has a legal requirement to maintain sewers on his land unless thay have been adopted by the water company.
If you give them a call they should get things rolling nicely.
Pete

Hi "Fluffster" All sorted. Neighbourly relations upheld. All good.

Basecoat

B*LL*CKS ..........you DEMAND HE SORTS IT TO "YOUR
ENGINEER" build ....

are you a man or a mouse ???? "YOU ARE THE VICTIM HERE "

EVERY PROPERTY SOLICITOR ... will baitch slap you into sending out engineers ,For a Proper EXAM ... get 3 seperate quotes,

Moz said:
Basecoat

B*LL*CKS ..........you DEMAND HE SORTS IT TO "YOUR
ENGINEER" build ....

are you a man or a mouse ???? "YOU ARE THE VICTIM HERE "

EVERY PROPERTY SOLICITOR ... will baitch slap you into sending out engineers ,For a Proper EXAM ... get 3 seperate quotes,

War talk eh. Like I said the problem is sorted once and for all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back