Neighbours extension and PWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The neighbours are planning to extend (classic semi detached and extending in the side return).

We do not have an issue with this per se, however the one thing that is really bugging us is that they want to take down the party wall to replace it with their new wall (up to the boundary line). It's a good wall that provides a separation between the properties, there is mature vegetation on it, electricity for the garden along it, and importantly also it would protect us from all the dust, noise, lack of privacy and trespassing of the builders during the build.

Is there anything I can do to avoid losing the wall? And if not what can I reasonably demand to mitigate those issues?

Thanks
H32

Sponsored Links
I presume you mean remove the boundary wall. Are you sure this wall is a party wall and not owned by one side or the other?

Hi

The neighbours are planning to extend (classic semi detached and extending in the side return).

We do not have an issue with this per se, however the one thing that is really bugging us is that they want to take down the party wall to replace it with their new wall (up to the boundary line). It's a good wall that provides a separation between the properties, there is mature vegetation on it, electricity for the garden along it, and importantly also it would protect us from all the dust, noise, lack of privacy and trespassing of the builders during the build.

Is there anything I can do to avoid losing the wall?
Its hard to see how you can insist that they make a garden wall part of their extension structure, so you are going to have to sell the house and move to somewhere where there are no other people, then you wont have to experience the short-term dust, noise, lack of privacy etc which happens when those other people carry out building work.

I presume you mean remove the boundary wall. Are you sure this wall is a party wall and not owned by one side or the other?
No I'm not certain, we will check.

Presumably the only way they can't take it down is if it's fully ours? (i'm pretty sure it's a party wall, it's bang in the middle of the two terraces)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Its hard to see how you can insist that they make a garden wall part of their extension structure, so you are going to have to sell the house and move to somewhere where there are no other people, then you wont have to experience the short-term dust, noise, lack of privacy etc which happens when those other people carry out building work.

I am also welcoming suggestions on how to mitigate the disruptions-why so angry? You could just have ignored and then you don't need to get all worked up about it...

It's in their interest to keep the dividing wall if you're growing plants against it. Afterall - they wouldn't want vines/ivy and such like getting into the brick/eaves of their new extension...

Nozzle

It's in their interest to keep the dividing wall if you're growing plants against it. Afterall - they wouldn't want vines/ivy and such like getting into the brick/eaves of their new extension...

Nozzle

Yes it crossed my mind as well, our garden is covered in Ivy, it's not that easy to tame at the best of times so it's pretty much a certainty that it will end up on their wall.

I really don't see a problem... I see it as a benefit, what you have to do is make sure they/their builders reinstate what they take down and ensuring you or your successors in the property can use the wall if and when you wish to do a similar extention.

dust and muck is something you have to live for a while

The problem with leaving a dividing boundary wall is that if the other side also extends at some point in the future (it might be you?) you end up with an awkward gap. As wgt52 says above, the best way to finish a boundary between two buildings is to, in effect!, join them together so they look as one.

I really don't see a problem... I see it as a benefit, what you have to do is make sure they/their builders reinstate what they take down and ensuring you or your successors in the property can use the wall if and when you wish to do a similar extention.

dust and muck is something you have to live for a while

Could you perhaps insist they install a temporary barrier, to limit the dust whilst the work progresses?

Could you perhaps insist they install a temporary barrier, to limit the dust whilst the work progresses?

Yes that's a really good suggestion on how to mitigate the issue thanks :)

I know using the new wall in the future seems like a good option but in reality at the moment it's not really how we use our garden (that wall was more like a herb garden and a feature). Would we be allowed to re-instate a wall against theirs so that we can go back to using it in that way?

I know using the new wall in the future seems like a good option but in reality at the moment it's not really how we use our garden (that wall was more like a herb garden and a feature). Would we be allowed to re-instate a wall against theirs so that we can go back to using it in that way?

Normally, you are not permitted to attach anything to someone else's fence or wall, but in your case it is to be a shared wall - so get that agreed and written into the agreement.

We have talked to them and they have no interest in sharing a wall (they need a light well/courtyard and if someone builds an extension along theirs they can kiss half the light good bye)

Basically we will have to go through the mitigating factors as suggested above

Thanks all for your expert contribution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back