Neighbours rear extension - Overbearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

1st time poster here, be gentle :).

Our neighbour has applied for a rear 3.7metre double extension that is going completley block our back window/light. Sadly all will see are bricks. The sun rises to the left of this extension and passes it about 3pm. Our natural sun light will be blocked completely. My daughters bedroom is also above and this will also be impacted by a 3.7 metre wall.

Originally it was 4.4 but they have brought it back just inside trhe 45 degree angle. I'm not sure it is inside the 45 degree but I guess that's comething the planners will deal with.

I can touch his house over our boundary fence... I havent but could :).

We are worried on the impact of our house. It seems excessive.

I am trying to find out what overbearing means? I know it can be case by case but I have included a photo to see what you think?

Attachments

• rear1.jpg
    rear1.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 641
  • rear2.jpg
    rear2.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Here's a thing to make it easier to visualise what the effect will be on your place- get a bit of stick (roofing batten will do), cut it to length & fix it to your fence where the corner of their extension will be (so the top of the stick represents the eaves of the proposed build). That'll make it much easier for you (and any other interested parties) to gauge the impact of the thing on your house/garden- overbearing is a subjective term rather than laid down in numbers

Have a Google of Right to Light- only really applies to habitable rooms and if your conservatory is a standard bolt-on then it doesn't count as habitable. Also have a look on your local council's planning website for similar applications in your area & what happened to them.

If they've applied for planning permission then you can object (your objection will become public record). If its a neighbourhood consultation thing then you can still object but the council has less scope to reject/modify the proposed extension. Pretty certain they shouldn't have any windows in the wall facing your place

Ok thanks. We havent got a consevatory. That window is our bay window. My daughters bedroom is directly above too. All we will see from the rooms is a 3.7 metre brick wall, double storey. I wasnt sure if that was overbearing or acceptable.

Ah, fair dos- looked like a conservatory.
If its double storey then they'll need full planning permission so lots of scope.
The 45 degree bit- have a look at your local councils planning policy (should be on their website) to see how much attention they pay to it- remember it is applied on a plan basis (so view your house from above, draw a line from the side of your window nearest the extension at an angle of 45 degrees to your back wall- given the proximity of next door I suspect it'll fail dismally. Do the stick bit to help the visualisation (did it with my garage, worked a treat soothing the neighbours). Overbearing is subjective- depends on the size of the gardens, the size of the houses, the layout of the area- but it will be taken into consideration by the planners. Also Google Right to Light & see how that works

Sponsored Links
Is the neighbours extension replacing the existing extension? Is it getting any closer to your property? Can you post a simple before/after plan?

Pls can you post a photo looking at the bay window/French doors, not across the side of them?

Thanks,
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back