Neighbour's roof water wetting our external walls

They are all signs of too much moisture in a cold room. Not enough heat or ventilation would be the normal cause. Do you think there's anything else going on; are the walls damp.

Sponsored Links
The external wall is somewhat a bit cold, but along the same external wall, is a small box bedroom which is currently used as a study...it's totally dry. During the winter we have central heating on, so it can't be because of lack of heat.

I've been tearing my hair out trying to diagnose the cause, hence I spent the last year, adding extractors to bathroom and kitchen and removing possible sources of moisture such as wet clothing, closing doors so moisture can't escape from bathroom/kitchen etc, but none have worked so far.

Let's just say that the bedroom windows have condensation due to us breathing at night, but that doesn't explain the huge amount of moisture on the living room window, when we're all upstairs?

Can it be that although the window double glazed panes themselves are fine, but the rubber gasket seal around the window is broke?

If the windows are open, then it's just moist air coming in, but in asking if the gasket seal might be broken, then that implies that the rooms sealed up, and the lack of ventilation would cause the moisture in the air to condense on the cold window. Pictures 1-3 obviously have the openers at the top, but 4 and 5 show the windows to be closed.

The windows were closed because last night was pretty cold for us. But I'm thinking that maybe we're looking around the house for problems, when in reality it might be simply the window gasket failing (Have a look at the edges where the condensation is starting from).

If it's definitely not the gaskets leaking cold air into the room, then your first analogy might be correct in that the house might be too cold. Which brings me to my next question.....Would getting a wood/multi-fuel burning stove help or would it make the condensation problem worse?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you have the windows open, then you're already letting in cold air, so the gaskets failing won't be responsible. A wood burning stove would add dry heat, whereas a gas fire adds wet heat, so it'd help warm the room up, but I think it's the lack of real insulation in the loft that's the real problem.

A certain amount of moisture on a window in the morning is to be expected, and only you can judge just how bad it really is.

Thanks for your advice Doggit. My issue is if this was a lack of insulation in the loft, then why is there moisture:
  • Downstairs window
  • One bedroom, but the rest are fine
  • The back living room, kitchen and bathroom are not affected

I wouldn't have a problem with a small amount of moisture, but from the photos, does that look small amount to you mate?

A wood burning stove would only be in one living room. But may I ask if I got a multi-fuel burning stove and used a mixture of coal/wood, then is that still dry heat or wet heat?

Stoves are enclosed, so they are always dry heat. Gas gives off water/moisture when it burns, so cakes stay moist when cooked in a gas oven, mor so than in an electric one.

My issue is if this was a lack of insulation in the loft, then why is there moisture

Sorry, not being on site, I can't give you a definitive answer, only guidance for you to think about. But you're right that somethings out of kilter, but even so, I've seen far worse than that in some properties.

Doggit, your a star buddy! You've just made me think a bit harder and I've remembered something that might be of relevance.....When I moved to this property a few years ago, I noticed a 2ft by 2ft puddle in the basement. This disappeared over a short period time. However it returned during early last winter. This time I got a guy to throw a camera down the gulleys, just in case they were cracked. But he found nothing. I now and again get a damp patch....could this be related at all???

It could well be related, but I'm not sure exactly how. I'm assuming that the damp patch is on the front of the property, and could explain why you've got extra moisture in those 2 rooms. You need to start looking at that, and see if you can find where it's coming in from, and if it's rising in to the upper rooms. I wonder if you were to put a dehimidifier in the basement, then the windows wouldn't be getting so wet.

Yes the damp patch is in the front of the property.

This is one thing I could never work out. At first I thought it was the gulleys, but after having the camera check, this has been eliminated. The water we got was after heavy rain and it was clean water, so if it was gulleys or sewage, I'm sure it would have smelled.

I then thought it might be saturated ground water. But we've had many heavy rains throughout the year (including storm aileen over the last few days) and other than a tiny damp patch, nothing else. So I feel we can also eliminate this one too.

This makes me think, that the water is getting in from somewhere...my suspicious is the roof gutters/wall cavity? And if I'm correct, then the culprit could well have been the blocked downpipe?

But you've got the problem in 2 rooms, so unless they are just a coinicence, with the damp ground causing the ground floor issue, and the guttering is causing the top floor issue, then you've got to keep looking for a something in common.

Your right mate. This is one of those head-banging issues which I feel won't be resolved in the short-term, unless I spent loads of money.

Not necessarily. Just keep it mind, and see what occurs to you. You've not got pretty much all the main info, and something willoccur to you soon. Best of luck

I'm sure it will eventually. But I want to thank you for spending your time in trying to figure out this issue. I just hope I didn't waste too much of your time. But I really appreciate your advice.

My next topic might be about wood burning stoves, so if you've any knowledge in that area, then I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back