1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Neighbour's roof water wetting our external walls

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by ripperuk, 9 Sep 2017.

1. ripperuk

ripperuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help guide what to do. I live in a semi-detached house, with neighbour's property connected to ours. The design of the roof is similar to this example:

[​IMG]

We've recently had some heavy rain and the water from the neighbour's roof has come down between the vertical triangle roofs. It's on his side. The external walls are soaked.

I've approached him and he's saying we're both responsible, however, I feel if it's from his side, then surely he alone is responsible?

Also is there a remedy to fix this?

Thanks

2. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you are referring to the pipe in the middle of those property's
    then its a shared responsibility.

3. datarebal

datarebal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    unblock the pipe... if you have one

4. You'd be better off posting a picture of the actual house; you're just going to get confused replies using a stock photo. Trust me, no one on here's going to come knocking on your door.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm confused I can't see a photo at all

6. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Whichever side of the party wall the water is getting in from, determines who is responsible.

7. Don't worry, he posted a similar looking photo, so there was nothing real or actual to work from.

8. ripperuk

ripperuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm really sorry guys for not posting the real picture earlier on. My mobile phone is in for repairs, so I thought I'd use a stock photo as an example. However I've managed to get a streetview snapshot of our houses from google maps:

As you can see from the photo, there is a down-pipe, but whenever we get heavy rain, the water is simply rolling off the roof (RED ARROW) and onto the ground as well as the walls. It's mainly on his side from what I can tell.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2017
  9. Sponsored Links
  10. How can you tell that the waters mainly coming from his side (which is a little immaterial to be honest) because it looks like a sharep pipe. Whose house is the pipe atached to, and would it be better share the costs for the sake of a good neighbourly relationship.

11. ripperuk

ripperuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Doggit,

Because recently when we had heavy rain, I had just come back from work and could see the water sliding off from his side of the roof and straight onto the ground. But to be honest I don't understand why it's coming off the roof (Red Arrow) and not going down the pipe.

The pipe is shared and smack-bang in the centre of both properties. I'm more than happy to pay to keep good relations.

But I first need to figure out exactly why this water is not going down a pipe and why is it sliding straight off the roof. Is it some sort of a blockage in pipe?

12. Careful_Bodger

Careful_Bodger

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am still confused as to how the stock photo used previously was in any way supposed to be useful, with what now actually seems to be a shared valley where the gable dormers join.

What's the basis for the assertion that it's anything other than a shared problem (agreeing with Doggit)?

13. ripperuk

ripperuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Careful_Bodger, As I've said, I'd be happy to accept it if that is the case. I first need your help in diagnosing where the issue is. Why would water just come off the shared valley and not go down the pipes? What's causing this?

14. It could be that the pipes blocked, either at the top, or somewere down the pipe, or it could be that with all the increased rainfall we're getting lately, it's no able to cope with the flow.

15. chappers

chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    almost certainly a blockage. Only way to find out is get up there and take a look

16. ripperuk

ripperuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys. May I clarify another thing??? If it was a case of blockage, can this also explain high humidity/dark patches on the wall inside the bedroom?

Sponsored Links