Neighbour's roof water wetting our external walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help guide what to do. I live in a semi-detached house, with neighbour's property connected to ours. The design of the roof is similar to this example:

well-maintained-pair-of-semi-detached-houses-faced-with-stone-and-C05DHF.jpg

We've recently had some heavy rain and the water from the neighbour's roof has come down between the vertical triangle roofs. It's on his side. The external walls are soaked.

I've approached him and he's saying we're both responsible, however, I feel if it's from his side, then surely he alone is responsible?

Also is there a remedy to fix this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are referring to the pipe in the middle of those property's
then its a shared responsibility.

You'd be better off posting a picture of the actual house; you're just going to get confused replies using a stock photo. Trust me, no one on here's going to come knocking on your door.

Sponsored Links
You'd be better off posting a picture of the actual house; you're just going to get confused replies using a stock photo. .
I'm confused I can't see a photo at all

Whichever side of the party wall the water is getting in from, determines who is responsible.

I'm really sorry guys for not posting the real picture earlier on. My mobile phone is in for repairs, so I thought I'd use a stock photo as an example. However I've managed to get a streetview snapshot of our houses from google maps:

As you can see from the photo, there is a down-pipe, but whenever we get heavy rain, the water is simply rolling off the roof (RED ARROW) and onto the ground as well as the walls. It's mainly on his side from what I can tell.

Last edited:
How can you tell that the waters mainly coming from his side (which is a little immaterial to be honest) because it looks like a sharep pipe. Whose house is the pipe atached to, and would it be better share the costs for the sake of a good neighbourly relationship.

Hi Doggit,

Because recently when we had heavy rain, I had just come back from work and could see the water sliding off from his side of the roof and straight onto the ground. But to be honest I don't understand why it's coming off the roof (Red Arrow) and not going down the pipe.

The pipe is shared and smack-bang in the centre of both properties. I'm more than happy to pay to keep good relations.

But I first need to figure out exactly why this water is not going down a pipe and why is it sliding straight off the roof. Is it some sort of a blockage in pipe?

I am still confused as to how the stock photo used previously was in any way supposed to be useful, with what now actually seems to be a shared valley where the gable dormers join.

What's the basis for the assertion that it's anything other than a shared problem (agreeing with Doggit)?

I am still confused as to how the stock photo used previously was in any way supposed to be useful, with what now actually seems to be a shared valley where the gable dormers join.

What's the basis for the assertion that it's anything other than a shared problem (agreeing with Doggit)?

Careful_Bodger, As I've said, I'd be happy to accept it if that is the case. I first need your help in diagnosing where the issue is. Why would water just come off the shared valley and not go down the pipes? What's causing this?

It could be that the pipes blocked, either at the top, or somewere down the pipe, or it could be that with all the increased rainfall we're getting lately, it's no able to cope with the flow.

almost certainly a blockage. Only way to find out is get up there and take a look

Thanks guys. May I clarify another thing??? If it was a case of blockage, can this also explain high humidity/dark patches on the wall inside the bedroom?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back