Neon 2 way switch

I did wonder why you would want to turn it OFF when you were in the loft, but I suppose you might forget to switch it ON before climbing up.

Sponsored Links
No idea what's inside.
Sorry about the stripes, that's flicker free LED lighting
2018-08-02 22.21.14.jpg

Sponsored Links
Then take it off the wall and have a look.

It's a bit worrying that when John said "unless they've been 'naughty', one thing which presumably must be inside is a neutral" you said "No idea."

Surely you must agree with him?

Then take it off the wall and have a look.
How about I give you the address of the building which sports that switch and you can make an even bigger prat of yourself by knocking on the door and asking if you can take it off the wall?
I know what my reaction would be if a visitor to any of my domains started requesting or taking electrical accessories off the wall.

It's a bit worrying that when John said "unless they've been 'naughty', one thing which presumably must be inside is a neutral" you said "No idea."
Why are you worried and why should I be worried? Should I be worried about every single electrical device in the world, or have you singled out this particular item for some peculiar reason. I still have no idea if there is a neutral in there or not, or even if it needs a neutral.

Surely you must agree with him?
As I have already mentioned I don't know if there is a neutral there or if one is required, accordingly I don't know if I agree or need to agree. I made a factual reply to a reasonable post.

Even more than this is I have absolutely no idea what the light is there for. I don't familiarise myself with every switch I ever see but in this case I have seen a solution to the OP and thought I'd share it. For all I know it could be a low level alarm for Tinkerbelles fairy dust reservoir and not have any relevance to any of the switches on that plate.

If any of this post offends you in any way, don't bother replying to it.

.... I still have no idea if there is a neutral in there or not, or even if it needs a neutral.
As I said/implied, unless they have been 'naughty (or the light comes on when the switch is 'off'), it must 'need a neutral'.

Kind Regards, John

As I said/implied, unless they have been 'naughty (or the light comes on when the switch is 'off'), it must 'need a neutral'.

Kind Regards, John
I'm not disagreeing with you in any way.
There are a selection of methods of lighting a LED but having not seen what's behind the plate I don't know which method has been employed. It's easy to jump to conclusions and I'll happily criticise it if I ever know how it's been wired and it proves to be 'naughty', but in the meantime I'll say that my expectation is for that particular building to be electrically correct.

Edit: As mentioned previously I don't even know what the LED is for and it could easily be a locator for when the light is off.

I did wonder why you would want to turn it OFF when you were in the loft, but I suppose you might forget to switch it ON before climbing up.
You may be in the loft and someone switches the light off by mistake in the hallway. Then you can just switch it back on in the loft.

Last edited:
You may be in the loft and someone switches the light off by mistake in the hallway. Then you can just switch it back on on the loft.
If you are happy to do that, I'm not too sure what purpose the switch in the hallway (or an indicator light on that switch) would achieve. Is there not a switch in the loft near the hatch?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back