Neon light fitting - power supply/transformer for it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've recently sourced a neon light fitting, but it doesn't come with a power supply or transformer. Googling seems to reveal that there are all sorts available, and I don't have a clue which one would fit it.

Photos below - anyone have any ideas? It looks a similar fitting to a florescent lamp I have, but is larger.

Any help people have would be appreciated :).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 309
Sponsored Links
I've recently sourced a neon light fitting,
Why not ask the person you sourced it from to tell you what supply it needs?

Googling seems to reveal that there are all sorts available, and I don't have a clue which one would fit it.
You've probably got 3 options.
  1. Ask the person you got it from to tell you what you need.
  2. Hope somebody here recognises the plug and knows that it implies a known supply spec.
  3. Start experimenting with different supplies - could be LV, could be MV, hoping to find the right one before you blow the light up or kill yourself.

Actually, make that 2 options.

Neon lights are not toys - the voltages that some run at are very dangerous. If you don't know what you are doing I suggest you don't do.

Sponsored Links
Why not ask the person you sourced it from to tell you what supply it needs?

Well I have, but they don't know either - I suspect they sourced it from somewhere, and didn't know what would power it either.

I was hoping someone may recognise the fitting and be able to point me in the right direction :)

Usually you're looking at proper scary voltages for neon tubes- anywhere between 7,000 and 15,000 volts. Find a company local to you that supplies neon fittings & have a chat with them. Don't be tempted to play guess and go on Ebay.

+1 for not guessing, these things can kill.

The power supply requirement can be calculated if you know the length and diameter of the tube, and the type of gas inside. If you don't know all of those things for certain, then find someone who does.

Edit - typo corrected, although I see it provided some amusement.

Last edited:
What size light is it? It looks like one of those small internal lights, and that connector should plug into the transformer/psu base which sits on the table. Like this.

Somewhat off topic (other than the word neon)
Very many years ago I used wire ended miniature neons extensively in various circuits.
Small wire ended neons were used frequently to provide voltage stabilisers in valve (tubes to the colonial cousins) circuits. When you're working at around 300volts HT DC on valve anode circuits, a high, but stable, voltage reference was a useful design facility. Most operated around 90volts DC and had a fairly flat plateau once they had fired.
Some forms were also used in rotary indicator type marine echo sounders whereby the neon mounted on a spinning 'wheel' indicated water depth.
Occasionally such small neons refused to fire when in completely dark conditions and required some "excitation" to get them going. A drop of luminous paint or even illumination from a dim torch (flashlight to our colonial cousins) provided sufficient photons to get them going.

Somewhat off topic (other than the word neon)
Very many years ago I used wire ended miniature neons extensively in various circuits.
Small wire ended neons were used frequently to provide voltage stabilisers in valve (tubes to the colonial cousins) circuits. When you're working at around 300volts HT DC on valve anode circuits, a high, but stable, voltage reference was a useful design facility. Most operated around 90volts DC and had a fairly flat plateau once they had fired.
Some forms were also used in rotary indicator type marine echo sounders whereby the neon mounted on a spinning 'wheel' indicated water depth.
Occasionally such small neons refused to fire when in completely dark conditions and required some "excitation" to get them going. A drop of luminous paint or even illumination from a dim torch (flashlight to our colonial cousins) provided sufficient photons to get them going.
I thought neons would be perfect to protect sensor front end electronics from static discharges. Neons worked fine on the bench, but when we potted the sensors into an enclosure, they didn't work... T'was a while before someone found they don't work in the dark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back