Nest 3rd gen install questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Ive got a 3rd gen nest and Ive been looking into fitting it myself. I think that I understand what I need to but thought i should probably check

Ive a worcester greenstar 30i combi boiler and a wireless salus ST620WBC thermostat and receiver.

from what i have read and watched on utube videos i need to
connect power to the heat link from the 230v out [L][N]
call to heat [3]
water [5]

and thats it?

also, will i need to remove the salus receiver from the boiler?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi Matt 87

Sorry, but your post is wrong on so many levels. For a start
Ive a worcester greenstar 30i combi boiler
If you have a combi boiler, why have you posted a link to a Greenstar i System boiler?

There is no boiler in existence, that as well as having a mains supply to [N] & [L] would just use Heatlink terminals [3] and [5] For control. You would be using half of the heating controls and half of the hot water controls (which you won't need for a combi anyway....:confused:) meaning nothing would work

The Heatlink, is the easy bit. The boiler end is more difficult to work out. Also, if you have to open the 'room sealed' boiler casing to access the boiler wiring terminals (many boilers do these days) then it should only be done by a Gas Safe engineer who can perform the necessary safety checks afterwards.

I think it would be best for you to call in the professional to do it for you.

Hi and thanks for your reply. Sorry if I posted the wrong link for starters.

I saw this video on utube
(2.34) which led me to believe I needed to connect both. Was just looking for some advice

Sponsored Links
That's a Worcester video that covers a whole range of different boilers, and there's no specific mention of the terminals for a Heatlink in it. So, I'm still at a loss to understand how you came to figure out you would use Heatlink terminals [3] and [5]

For a Combi boiler (with no timed hot water control) then terminals [2] & [3] would be used for the switching the heating. (No connection would be made to the hot water terminals)

for a System boiler (with timed control for heating a hot water cylinder) then terminals [2] & [3] would be used for the switching the heating, and terminals [5] & [6] for switching the hot water. Systems that have a three port motorised valve (aka Y Plan) also require a 'hot water satisfied' connection to terminal [4].

I would seriously recommend that you consider the advice in the video you posted the link to:

Capture.JPG

It says for 3rd party stats which nest is.

I understand you are concerned for safety but if i never try and do anything myself (with the advice i came here for) how am i ever going to learn?

Advice and some guidance was all I asked for and your derogatory replies weren't what I was expecting

Advice and some guidance was all I asked for

And that's what you got. I explained why your assumptions were incorrect....
There is no boiler in existence, that as well as having a mains supply to [N] & [L] would just use Heatlink terminals [3] and [5] For control. You would be using half of the heating controls and half of the hot water controls

and gave a you detailed explanation of the Heatlink connections....
For a Combi boiler (with no timed hot water control) then terminals [2] & [3] would be used for the switching the heating. (No connection would be made to the hot water terminals)

for a System boiler (with timed control for heating a hot water cylinder) then terminals [2] & [3] would be used for the switching the heating, and terminals [5] & [6] for switching the hot water. Systems that have a three port motorised valve (aka Y Plan) also require a 'hot water satisfied' connection to terminal [4].

I am quite happy to assist individuals who demonstrate a reasonable understanding of what they are doing, but it's obvious to me that from your comments that you don't come into that category and therefore for your safety, I simply gave you exactly the same advice as Worcester did.
I think it would be best for you to call in the professional to do it for you.

Having gone to some length to watch the video you posted and, explain things to you. I was extremely surprised to then read.
your derogatory replies weren't what I was expecting

I am sorry if I have offended you. I certainly didn't intend my comments to be derogatory. Ironically I thought I had tried to be tactful with my replies. I could have said "From your original post it's obvious that despite having detailed instructions for it, you don't have a clue about the Heatlink or what it does. What do you think connecting one wire to 'Heating call for heat' and one to 'Hot water common' is going to achieve. You don't even know what sort of boiler you have!"

Unbelievable.

Stem is one of the most if not the most helpful guys on this forum. If you do a bit of digging around you'll see how he helps and resolves issue after issue, he clearly isn't taking lightly your lack of basic understanding.

I understand you are concerned for safety but if i never try and do anything myself (with the advice i came here for) how am i ever going to learn?

Some things in life you can't afford to learn from your mistakes. Would you let a child put its hand in boiling water so they can learn from their mistakes?

It's clowns like this that have made so many of us professionals stop giving advice on these controls.

Too lazy to research the hundreds of identical threads on the subject. Too stupid to follow basic instructions. Too arrogant to admit that a simple job like this is beyond them.

I don't know why Stem bothers.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Stem, Dan and others on this site give sound advice freely to us DIYers, everyday and it's much appreciated...just saying
Ps, where is Agile?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back