Nest 3rd Gen to replace Drayton LP241 , With no junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I want to replace a Drayton LP241 programmer with a Nest 3rd Gen , but ive noticed everything in wired directly into the LP241 ? . The Zone valve, Grunfoss Heating pump, and the Hot water tank cylinder stat ,roomstat etc . Im pretty confused as in my last house i only had half a dozen wires coming straight from a junction box etc, so it was pretty easy to install

many thanks

Attachments

• 20181229_110359_1546081699360_resized.jpg
    20181229_110359_1546081699360_resized.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 589
  • 20181229_110408_1546081696814_resized (1).jpg
    20181229_110408_1546081696814_resized (1).jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 573
Sponsored Links
What a blooody mess, get someone in to fit a wiring centre and tidy that disgrace up, you will not cram all those wires into a nest receiver

Sponsored Links
Nothing is leaking now the 3 pos valve was replaced before I moved in

Looks like the gate valve (Red handled valve in your pic) is leaking

You may find that buried in the wall behind the Drayton is a back box that has been used as a junction box.

The Heat link replaces the Danfoss so they can be exchanged quite easily. The only problem you may encounter is if there are a lot of wires in the Drayton and not enough room to terminate them all in the Heat link. I which case you may find it easier to replace the Drayton with a junction box and then just wire single conductors from that to the Heat link terminals.

The Drayton wiring terminals have the following functions:

LP241.JPG

The existing wires are transferred from the terminals of the Drayton, to the Nest Heat link terminals that have exactly the same function.

Nest.JPG

Neutral, Live & Earth are straightforward
Drayton (1) Hot Water off = Heat link (4) Hot Water Satisfied
Drayton (3) Hot Water on = Heat link (6) Hot water Call for Heat
Drayton (4) Central Heating on = Heat link (3) Heating Call for Heat
Then terminals (L) (2) & (5) need to be electrically connected together

Don't worry if there aren't wires in every terminal, you will only need to use the wires that are present now.

The Nest Thermostat needs a 12v supply and can be powered either by using a separate plug in power supply, or by connecting terminals T1 & T2 of the Thermostat to the corresponding terminals at the Heat link.

Finally any existing room thermostat needs to be decommissioned, it can't just be disconnected otherwise the heating wiring would be permanently 'open circuit' and the heating would not operate. This is done by finding the origin of the thermostat cable, disconnecting it completely and then inserting a link between the terminals where the two thermostat live switching wires have just been removed from, so that they are electrically connected to complete the circuit. Alternatively as a temporary measure setting the existing room thermostat to maximum / permanently on, will prevent it interfering with the operation of the Nest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back