Nest 3rd gen, where must be placed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I want to get a Nest 3rd. gen thermostat, but I'm not sure where it should be installed...

Ideally I would like it to be in the hallway, but not sure if it's doable?
If I can move the thermostat around, then not sure how it works?

I have this setup currently:
A boiler and a UT2 programmer in the kitchen, and the temperature control in the hallway:
1638792361524.jpg
1638792361524.jpg

Sponsored Links
The Nest Heat link normally replaces the programmer (UT2) because that's where the necessary wires are located and the programmer will be redundant once the Nest is installed. The Nest thermostat should be located in the best position in your property so that it controls the heating properly. I've added some tips below.

The original thermostat (RS1) can be left in situ and set to maximum, so that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the Nest, or decommissioned by making a wiring mod to bridge the original thermostat switching circuit thus allowing the old thermostat to be removed.

The Nest thermostat can be connected to the Heat link T1 & T2 terminals for its operating power, or you can use a separate plug in power supply.

Tips for Room Thermostat Location:
The positioning of the room thermostat is critical to the correct operation of the system.

The room thermostat should be in a room that is not effected by other sources of heat such as an open fire, cooking equipment, or direct sunlight etc. It should not be somewhere draughty or too close to a window, especially if it's one that is opened in the winter.

Secondly it should be in a cool room, ideally the last to warm up. That way the other rooms will be warm enough, (but not overheated because of their TRV’s) before the room thermostat switches the entire heating system off.

At least one radiator in the room with the thermostat installed should not have a TRV fitted. Otherwise the TRV may interfere with the correct operation of the room thermostat.

The thermostat should be mounted about 1.5 metres from the floor, and not close to, or above a radiator.

Preferably it should not be on an outside wall, (although if you have well insulated walls, this is not quite so crucial.)

It should be in an area where air can circulate easily, not in a corner, or hidden behind curtains, or furniture.

Last edited:
The original thermostat (RS1) can be left in situ and set to maximum, so that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the Nest, or decommissioned by making a wiring mod to bridge the original thermostat switching circuit thus allowing the old thermostat to be removed.

The Nest thermostat can be connected to the Heat link T1 & T2 terminals for its operating power, or you can use a separate plug in power supply.

Thank you! Not quite sure what you meant with what I quoted tho, sorry!

So, it is possible to connect the Nest thermostat in the same place where the RS1 is? I don't want to leave the original thermostat in situ, as is ugly AF haha
That is an ideal location as per your explanation, as the hallway connects all the spaces in the house, doesn't have a rad., the wall is internal, etc.

The Nest 3rd Gen thermostat has two parts.

1. The Nest Heat link that is connected to the wires that now go to the existing programmer (UT2) The Heat link is basically just an on/off switch

HL.jpg

2. The Nest Thermostat is what senses the actual room temperature and has the control functions. It is designed to replaces the original room thermostat (RS1 in your case) The Nest Thermostat tells the Heat link to turn on / off.

Stat.JPG

The Nest thermostat requires a 12v supply to power it. It must not be connected to mains voltage. The thermostat can get this 12v by being wired to the special terminals provided at the Nest link.....

Capture.JPG

....or it can be connected to a plug in power supply.

However the original thermostat will still be electrically connected to the heating system, it can be removed, but it can't just be disconnected otherwise the heating wiring will be left open circuit and won't work. So the two thermostat switching wires would have to be joined to complete the circuit. The wires in question are those in the terminals L and 3.

RTS1.JPG

Ideally the thermostat cable would be traced back to its origin and all of the wires in it disconnected. Then a wire would be inserted to join together the two terminals which the two switching wires have just been removed from.

the hallway connects all the spaces in the house, doesn't have a rad.,

If the hallway doesn't have a radiator in, it might not be the ideal position, if all of the doors are closed it would have no way of being able to sense what the heating was doing and may not turn the heating off when the rest of the house had warmed up. It may also have an effect on the Nest's ability to 'learn'.

Sponsored Links
ok got you!

Now, I've asked one of the people that Google recommends, for installation.
He says that he can connect the thermostart in the same place the old thermostat is, with no extra wiring and quote: "We can use the existing thermostat position. No rewiring required. Don’t worry about the voltage, Heatlink sends the voltage down existing wires."

Is this ok?

BTW Happy XMas! and many thaks for your help :)

Yes, you can use the existing wiring from the existing thermostat, if it’s 3 wire, then do away with the neutral wire (safely terminating in. Connector block, or disconnect both ends and snip wires back). Position heat link in the kitchen if it’s easy enough, or decommission the UT2 and place heat link where the wiring center is.

If all you’re wanting to do is replace the existing thermostat with a Nest, then you could opt for the Nest E - a 2 wire switching battery operated thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back