Nest e questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just bought a boiler for a new build and it came with a NEST e, now all the videos i see show how to connect these to an existing thermostat, but if its a new build i assume it will just need a feed but what other wires as i dont believe you wire these to the boiler as you do with the other Nests, or have i misunderstood how these work?

EDIT - now i see theres a grey box that goes where the thermostat goes, and the display which i thought was hung on the wall sits on a stand. These then dont seem suitable for a new build- where would the grey box go in a new house and where would it be wired??

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Nest-e is just a simple on/off switch the same any traditional thermostat.

The two switching wires that would go to a 'traditional thermostat' simply connect to the Nest-e Heat link 'C' and 'NO' terminals. The Heat link [grey box] is usually mounted adjacent to where the wires are (eg the boiler, or wiring centre etc depending upon the type of system you have)

The Nest thermostat is located remotely. It communicates with the Heat link wirelessly.

As this is a 'new build' I suspect that it will need to have separate control of the living and sleeping areas as per the building regulations, so will have zone valves fitted. However, if it doesn't have zone valves and the boiler is a combi boiler which is equipped with Open Therm, the boiler OT terminals can be wired directly to the Nest OT terminals instead.

Be careful with the videos. The UK Nest-e is a completely different beast to those available in other parts of the world, particularly the USA.

Nest-e is just a simple on/off switch the same any traditional thermostat.

The two switching wires that would go to a 'traditional thermostat' simply connect to the Nest-e Heat link 'C' and 'NO' terminals. The Heat link [grey box] is usually mounted adjacent to where the wires are (eg the boiler, or wiring centre etc depending upon the type of system you have)

The Nest thermostat is located remotely. It communicates with the Heat link wirelessly.

As this is a 'new build' I suspect that it will need to have separate control of the living and sleeping areas as per the building regulations, so will have zone valves fitted. However, if it doesn't have zone valves and the boiler is a combi boiler which is equipped with Open Therm, the boiler OT terminals can be wired directly to the Nest OT terminals instead.

Be careful with the videos. The UK Nest-e is a completely different beast to those available in other parts of the world, particularly the USA.

thanks for that mate, ive not spoken to my plumber lately coz of this virus, i didnt know the house had to have separate zones, i knew the boiler had to work to regs regarding weather compensation but wasnt sure exactly what else there was

For new builds Part L of the building regulations in 2010 stipulates different heating zones are provided for the living areas and sleeping areas.

This is usually done by installing a programmable thermostat for the living areas and a second separate programmable thermostat for the sleeping areas.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
so you can use, 2 nests for example with one boiler? or does one nest cover multiple zones?

thanks

If you have two zones, each heating zone will be controlled by a motorised valve. So:

Zone 1 = living area....motorised valve 1....Controlled by thermostat 1

Zone 2 = sleeping area....motorised valve 2....Controlled by thermostat 2

Last edited:
I just bought a boiler for a new build and it came with a NEST e, now all the videos i see show how to connect these to an existing thermostat,
you have a new build with no boiler? , you do know that you cant fit your own boiler, a nest E is the simplest of controls to fit,if you are struggling with it get someone that knows what they are doing

you have a new build with no boiler? , you do know that you cant fit your own boiler, a nest E is the simplest of controls to fit,if you are struggling with it get someone that knows what they are doing

i wouldnt dream of doing that mate, im just thinking ahead. The Nest came with the boiler but i dont like it from what ive seen so far. I think i could fit it myself but im just confused about the grey box sitting on the wall - it would look a mess to me and ill speak to my sparky anyway when i decide what to do

thanks

i wouldnt dream of doing that mate, im just thinking ahead. The Nest came with the boiler but i dont like it from what ive seen so far. I think i could fit it myself but im just confused about the grey box sitting on the wall - it would look a mess to me and ill speak to my sparky anyway when i decide what to do

thanks
They are decent enough, they are just a switch exactly the same as any other thermostat or controller, , they are decent, only need two wires as they are battery powered, not hard to wire up

In a new build, personally, I would tend towards a hardwired product.

The idea of these battery powered devices is good for retrofits where there isn't always a suitable convenient mains supply and it saves the disruption of running new cables. But in a new build running cables won't be a hardship. With your scenario of a two zone system each with battery powered Heat link and thermostat, that's 4 sets of batteries to maintain. I don't know how long the batteries in Nest-e last, they haven't been around that long to find out, but they will need changing at some point.

In a new build, personally, I would tend towards a hardwired product.

The idea of these battery powered devices is good for retrofits where there isn't always a suitable convenient mains supply and it saves the disruption of running new cables. But in a new build running cables won't be a hardship. With your scenario of a two zone system each with battery powered Heat link and thermostat, that's 4 sets of batteries to maintain. I don't know how long the batteries in Nest-e last, they haven't been around that long to find out, but they will need changing at some point.

i was thinking along similar lines mate, i didnt realise the nest e they gave me was like that, but now i know, ill sell it on and just buy the version 3 models

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back