Nest Thermostat to Replace Horstmann 425 Coronet Controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We currently don't have a thermostat installed with out combi boiler, just the controller switch.
This is for heating only.
I'm looking to replace that controller with a Nest Thermostat and need to double check wiring.

I have attached wiring diagrams for hortsmann, nest & nest wiring for 230v combi.
Below is a photo of the Horstmann Controller as it is currently. Mains cable comes in from the left, and then 2 cables go to the boiler to the right. One of the cables going to the boiler is main power & earth, the other only has one wire connected (To position 5, CH ON)

So if I'm correct
425D.gif
nest-230v.png
IMG_4228-e1497469858713.jpg
PXL_20220222_130416367.MP.jpg
, I connect the 2 mains cables to their respective L, N & Earth connectors in the Nest.
I connect the L also to Nest 2(common) , and then the final wire( was Horstmann 5) to nest 3 (call for heat)

Sponsored Links
You have posted a diagram of a Horstmann Diadem/Tiara, but your controller is a Coronet. [There are no pins for connection to backplate terminals 1,2 & 3]

Capture.JPG

As you don't have an existing room thermostat it's just a matter of moving all of the wires from the Coronet to the terminals to those at Nest which have exactly the same functions. Assuming that the Horstmann link goes between L and 5 as shown in the diagram above (looks like it does in your photo, but I can't be 100% sure) you are not quite right when you say:

and then the final wire (was Horstmann 5) to nest 3 (call for heat)

.....because 5 would just be the live link wire. It should be:

Coronet E = Nest E (Earth)
Coronet N = Nest N (Neutral)
Coronet L = Nest L (Live)
Coronet 4 = Nest 3 (Heating on / call for heat)

Add a link between Nest L to Nest 2

The Coronet terminals 4 & 5 will work if the wires are transposed. So if the existing link is between L and 4, instead of L and 5 then your description of where to put the "final wire" connection is correct.

Perfect reply, thanks.
No idea why I posted the wrong diagram, I'd previously found the correct one !

All very clear now. Finally we can have a dammed thermostat instead of just on/off (Which due to laziness ends up meaning the house gets too hot or too cold constantly, wasting energy and moneyin the process)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back