Nest thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a query about fitting the nest in my house. My central heating system is quite old and I cannot switch between hot water and central heating so on my old programmer when I switch the heating on I always get both working. So with this I have no motorised valves. The question I need answered is atm all I have is a mains feed from the programmer straight out to the boiler. When I get rid of the programmer and wire the feed into the heat link and loop the live into the common I plan to take the call for heat stright to the boiler/pump. Will this work on switching the boiler off/on when I switch the theromstat with me having no valves?

Sponsored Links
It will be but in a crappy way. Either way - another sodding Nest question. Getting fed up with them.

Use the search function or call a professional.

Got this from @picasso :

piccso.jpg

and this from @DP

image 1.jpeg

Sponsored Links

Yes my system seems to be more like the first diagram. So i'm guessing it should work. As I can't switch between hot water/central heating all i'm doing is doing away with my programmer and replacing it with the heat link. All I wanted to know if that is possible as my system has no motorised valves/stats.
Thanks

You need this stat at your cylinder.

ae235.jpg

Yes my system seems to be more like the first diagram. So i'm guessing it should work. As I can't switch between hot water/central heating all i'm doing is doing away with my programmer and replacing it with the heat link. All I wanted to know if that is possible as my system has no motorised valves/stats.
Thanks

You need this stat at your cylinder.

View attachment 102671

Is there any point of fitting a cylinder stat as without any valves it won't be able to switch off water going to the cylinder and keep water going to the radiators? Would it not knock the whole boiler off? Would the boiler stat not regulate the water temperature going round in one loop?

Is there any point of fitting a cylinder stat as without any valves it won't be able to switch off water going to the cylinder and keep water going to the radiators? Would it not knock the whole boiler off? Would the boiler stat not regulate the water temperature going round in one loop?
When your heating on, your hot is on too. Or upgrade to C plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back