Net closing in on tax-dodgers

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"For a hint of what this means in practice, look to Newham. The London borough runs a property licensing scheme and has 27,000 registered landlords on its lists. But when it gave HMRC the names of those landlords for some simple analysis it was found that almost half (13,000) are not registered for self-assessment.

This doesn’t necessarily mean all of them are not paying tax on their rents. Small amounts due can be collected via PAYE and some properties will be owned by companies or trusts and separately accounted for. But even if you make allowances for this and assume that, say, 10,000 rather than 13,000 landlords are not properly declaring rent, there is clearly something of a problem here. "

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/pers...-find-the-net-is-closing/ar-AAqgzfy?li=AA54rU

A good thing too.

Now we also need to block up the rat-holes used by the likes of Starbucks, Amazon and the Daily Mail. Our government should be made to do that. It's strange how sympathetic they are to billionaires.

"Perhaps if every riding school, garage, landlord, personal trainer, café owner, dog walker and builder (you can get a sense of which professions dodge most here on HMRC’s deliberate defaulter “name and shame” list) had their data analysed by Connect, the UK’s obscene deficit might look very significantly smaller."

Defaulters' list
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ddd/current-list-of-deliberate-tax-defaulters

Sponsored Links
they should also clamp down on any any consumer who is caught paying cash in order to dodge paying vat ;)

they should also clamp down on any any consumer who is caught paying cash in order to dodge paying vat ;)

I think you mean they should clamp down on any trades person wanting to be paid in cash only to dodge the tax. :whistle:

Sponsored Links
"For a hint of what this means in practice, look to Newham. The London borough runs a property licensing scheme and has 27,000 registered landlords on its lists. But when it gave HMRC the names of those landlords for some simple analysis it was found that almost half (13,000) are not registered for self-assessment.

This doesn’t necessarily mean all of them are not paying tax on their rents. Small amounts due can be collected via PAYE and some properties will be owned by companies or trusts and separately accounted for. But even if you make allowances for this and assume that, say, 10,000 rather than 13,000 landlords are not properly declaring rent, there is clearly something of a problem here. "

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/pers...-find-the-net-is-closing/ar-AAqgzfy?li=AA54rU

A good thing too.

Now we also need to block up the rat-holes used by the likes of Starbucks, Amazon and the Daily Mail. Our government should be made to do that. It's strange how sympathetic they are to billionaires.

"Perhaps if every riding school, garage, landlord, personal trainer, café owner, dog walker and builder (you can get a sense of which professions dodge most here on HMRC’s deliberate defaulter “name and shame” list) had their data analysed by Connect, the UK’s obscene deficit might look very significantly smaller."

Defaulters' list
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ddd/current-list-of-deliberate-tax-defaulters

This is a major breach of data protection if true, the council is breaking the law and would likely be fined.

I think you mean they should clamp down on any trades person wanting to be paid in cash only to dodge the tax. :whistle:

No ( as well as the above)

clampdown on any consumer offering to pay cash to avoid paying VAT.

Money is money however a consumer wishes to pay is perfectly legal. The person receiving payment and not doing the correct thing is the one in the wrong.

Money is money however a consumer wishes to pay is perfectly legal. The person receiving payment and not doing the correct thing is the one in the wrong.

be that as it may but

some one (consumer) asking for a cash deal & knowing full well that it is to avoid VAT is also guilty imho & should be taken to task for it ;)

and made an example of

Nope only the person receiving the money is at fault. If you run a legit business you would say no, it is the people who don't who fuel the problem. My business might be a cash business like say a taxi driver so I have cash if I want to pay someone with that rather than putting in my bank and paying another way that is my choice. If the receiver doesn't pay VAT it is them in the wrong not me.

Nope only the person receiving the money is at fault. If you run a legit business you would say no, it is the people who don't who fuel the problem. My business might be a cash business like say a taxi driver so I have cash if I want to pay someone with that rather than putting in my bank and paying another way that is my choice. If the receiver doesn't pay VAT it is them in the wrong not me.

and report all the customers who enquire about a cash deal ;) in order to circum navigate VAT.

They are fully aware of what they are asking for

Report someone for saying can I pay in cash? You sound so silly. The only person at fault is the business accepting payment and not doing the correct thing. Some people don't even know it's a bad thing it's the responsibility of the receiver.

Report someone for saying can I pay in cash? You sound so silly. The only person at fault is the business accepting payment and not doing the correct thing. Some people don't even know it's a bad thing it's the responsibility of the receiver.

Yeah right one might sound silly

the innocent custmer wants to pay cash to avoid VAT , & we are not talking about Taxi drivers or burger bars or a visit to your local barbers

I am talking about the construction industry , were large amounts of money paid in cash is not the norm

But it is the trader who determines the price - admittedly agreed with the customer - and should/must pay vat on whatever amount is accepted.

I know what you mean but you cannot get away from the fact that it is the trader who does not pay the vat on whatever amount the customer pays.

Sponsored Links
Back