Network cable

Sponsored Links
One cable is sufficient for two ports at 10/100. Two cables would be required for gigabit operation.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting this kit to install a network cable to my son's bedroom, http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10346/Electrical-Supplies/Data-Networking/Cable/Network-Cabling-Kit in the kit each box has 2 network sockets in them, will the 2 sockets go down the 1 cable or will I have to install 2 cables for each box so I get the 2 sockets to work.
Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
For both sockets to work you will need to run two cables.
Cat5e spec cables are suitable for 10/100/1gb connections for runs of upto 100m as long as you aren't going through some insane amounts of electromagnetic interference.

For both sockets to work you will need to run two cables.
Cat5e spec cables are suitable for 10/100/1gb connections for runs of upto 100m as long as you aren't going through some insane amounts of electromagnetic interference.

And as I said, you can run both at 10/100 from a single cable.

One cable is sufficient for two ports at 10/100. Two cables would be required for gigabit operation.
How did you work that one out?

Simple. 10/100 operation uses two pairs, of the four present in a Cat5e cable. Gigabit operation uses all four.
No.

Half Duplex uses two pairs. Full duplex uses four.
Speed is independent of Duplex.
You can have 10/100 full or half duplex, though in most cases when a network interface is set to 1gb, duplex is automatically set to full and you have to do quite a lot of fiddling to get half duplex - and I've only ever done that as a quick hack to check a cable run for a faulty pair when I didnt have a mod-tap to hand.

How did you work that one out?

Simple. 10/100 operation uses two pairs, of the four present in a Cat5e cable. Gigabit operation uses all four.
No.

Half Duplex uses two pairs. Full duplex uses four.
Speed is independent of Duplex.
You can have 10/100 full or half duplex, though in most cases when a network interface is set to 1gb, duplex is automatically set to full and you have to do quite a lot of fiddling to get half duplex - and I've only ever done that as a quick hack to check a cable run for a faulty pair when I didnt have a mod-tap to hand.

Incorrect. 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX use two pairs. Full stop. 1000BASE-T uses four pairs. Duplex has nothing to do with the pairs used, it's two for 10/100 and four for 1000.

Incorrect. 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX use two pairs. Full stop. 1000BASE-T uses four pairs. Duplex has nothing to do with the pairs used.

Ah, so you send and receive over the same pair of wires at exactly the same time then? :rolleyes:

Damn, me and the rest of the networking world have been wrong for years.

Incorrect. 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX use two pairs. Full stop. 1000BASE-T uses four pairs. Duplex has nothing to do with the pairs used.

Ah, so you send and receive over the same pair of wires at exactly the same time then? :rolleyes:

Damn, me and the rest of the networking world have been wrong for years.

Uhm, it uses two pairs. One for transmitting, one for receiving. There are four pairs in a normal cat5e cable. For 1000BASE-T operation all four pairs are used. Once again, 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX use just two pairs.

Sorry Ricardus, but Monkeh is correct on this one you can run two 100BASE-TX connections from a single CAT5 cable.

100BASE-TX uses two pairs regardless of duplex. Though I'm not entirely sure you would get 100m cable run using this setup given interference with another run in such close proximity, then again I haven't tried it.

I imagine it'd work fine with cat5e for that distance. It does when you share the cable with phone lines..

Sponsored Links
Back