Network Drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought myself a new network drive and at first I could not get it to work on the network as the router IP address did not match hard-drive IP address.

I tried to plug in with USB to see if I could change drive address and could see one folder called public and nothing else.

Once one uses USB the network assess seems to be disabled and I had to switch drive off and back on again.

So I removed router and just connected with hub and this then allowed me to change IP address to match router.

Reconnected all and all worked but it took me direct into public I could not access any files not in public folder. I though this must be the way drive is made but to access my wife's PC which she has used a password for I booted with a Linux Mempis Live disk.

With this I can access whole drive through the network so I am wondering why I can't with WindowsXP?

Also with Linux I did not need any drivers or passwords but with WindowsXP I had to load software first and I had to enter ID and Password.

Is there any way to get full access with WindowsXP and also is there a way to restrict access for Linux users without a password.

Drive made by Freecom

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't need to load drivers to access a NAS (network attached storage) unless it is for the setup of it.
If you open internet explorer and type in the network address of the NAS in the address line at the top, does it bring up a Username/password screen?
Also, what version of windows are you using? There was an issue with the security settings in Vista and some NAS drives.

change IP address to match router

By this you mean you gave the network drive an unused IP Address on the same logical network as the router ? you haven't given it the exact same IP address as the router I take it ?

Drive made by Freecom

Can you post the specific model please.

Sounds like permissions on the NAS box to me.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to browse My Network Places to see the device, if not you could try enabling "show icons for networked UPnP devices"
check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/920306
Yes I can find on networked devices but needs a drive letter for some programs to find drive the provided program did this. Also will not let you in without password so real pain unless drivers are loaded which then handle the password so like using any other drive.
You shouldn't need to load drivers to access a NAS (network attached storage) unless it is for the setup of it.
If you open internet explorer and type in the network address of the NAS in the address line at the top, does it bring up a Username/password screen?
Also, what version of windows are you using? There was an issue with the security settings in Vista and some NAS drives.
Using windows 98se, XP Pro, Vista, and sometimes 95 plus Mempis when running Lixux. In windows it asks for passwork but not with Lixux with that I am stright in.
Using a web browser it takes you to setup screen not into drive.
change IP address to match router

By this you mean you gave the network drive an unused IP Address on the same logical network as the router ? you haven't given it the exact same IP address as the router I take it ?

Drive made by Freecom

Can you post the specific model please.

Sounds like permissions on the NAS box to me.
Yes same three numbers of dotted decimal and forth one unused by anything else. Did make a mistake used 255.255.0.0 and should have been 255.255.255.0 on sub net mask and that stopped printer from working took a good 6 hours to find simple mistake.

Part No 29013 Model Code SSPEBH Freecome Network Drive 500GB LAN & USB 2.0 FAT 32 pre-formatted (Win/Mac)

The drive now working well in LAN mode I would say the instructions were lacking and I am a little worried about security as once into LAN with Linux there is nothing to stop anyone accessing the drive and it does give Windows users a false sense of security asking for name and password and one expects all other systems to do the same which is not the case.

I see the same firm sell a model with more functions I would expect these may be better.

Lucky my Daughter has got rid of the boy friend who used Linux so I am not too worried but think it right to warn others as if you left your router open anyone using Linux can get into hard drive.

At least you can get into the setup, what does it say for the IP address?
What is the IP address of your router on your network (not the internet IP address).
Subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0 for a home network as you probably know.
Also, is it in the same name workgroup as your windows PCs?

Lucky years ago I did the first few lessons on Cisco systems in college or it still would not be running.

Yes I knew my internal IP address was the 192,168.1.x group so for me easy it had before been in 10.x.x.x group with old zoom router it was sub net mask that caught me out never checked and set at 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 such an easy mistake.

But how many people reading this will know what a sub net mask is and have any idea as to what to set it too?

I was mislead when I realised some of my PC's were set to MSHOME and some to WORKGROUP and I spent ages setting them all to WORKGROUP before I realised that was not the problem.

In hind sight it was easy but when misses was saying "I need to print this for my assignment hand in for the morning" the pressure was mounting and I have lost a few hairs on my head.

Now all A1 but I would not want to repeat the experience too often. if I who had done first lessons in Cisco systems found it taxing how would beginner fair?

Don't get me wrong it works A1 the only point is it's not secure and since they also sell a version with a card access system the manufactures realise this.

Had I not also ran Linux I would have never realised how easy others could access my hard drive hence my warning to others.

From a security point of view, is it possible to set up permissions in the NAS setup page?
I have mine set to the same username and password as windows so it doesn't prompt me for it all the time.
Also I have my NAS set to a static address and the router firewall blocking access for that IP addy to the outside world.

From a security point of view, is it possible to set up permissions in the NAS setup page?
I have mine set to the same username and password as windows so it doesn't prompt me for it all the time.
Also I have my NAS set to a static address and the router firewall blocking access for that IP addy to the outside world.
As I have said now I know Linux can assess I also have router blocking any wireless connection unless on the permitted MAC address list.

As to the NAS setup page it does not seem to matter what you set on this Linux can still get in and access all. It only seems to effect Windows access.

Hence my warning as many law abiding people would never realise that Linux users would not be stopped. There is a version of the drive which has a credit card type access I guess to stop Linux users breaking in but now no Linux users left in the house so not problems.

I will guess a Linux user could still find a way in but there has to be a limit I don't have bars on my windows either.

Sponsored Links
Back