Network Hard drives access for visitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two network drives a Freecom and a Maxtor with the Freecom it was a little harder to set up in first place and I had to assign it a network address but once done anyone who visits can easy find the drive and use it. (Once I authorise their computer if using wireless)

The Maxtor auto configured it’s self and also have provision to use USB devices like pen drives, hard drives, and printers but to use it one has to either load up the software provided or to map the drive.

Once mapped it works well but it means messing about when friends visit before they can access the drive. OK not too hard on the desktop it’s just a case of select new short cut and enter \\Name-I-selected and then a icon is formed similar to the “My Computer” icon and from that all public areas can be accessed but with Freecom drive in “My Network Places” it auto shows up. Is there any way to get the Maxtor drive to show up same way as Freecom drive?

It is set to correct workgroup name and IP address.

Since I already have network printer I am not using that feature but would be interested to hear how well it works should I change printer in the future?

Also I found my Intenso 32 GB stick will not work with the drive it is fat 32. But other sticks and portable hard drive work A1. It sees the 32gb stick but does not give an icon to click on to open any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Your description of the problem is confusing.

1. How did you connect the hard drives?
-Are they connected to a server through USB?
-Are they connected to a Work Station through USB?
-Is the connection type somethingelse other than USB?
-Are they directly connected to Network? In that case what is the IP address?
-What is the UNC name of the server?
-Have you shared the drives?

2. What is your infrstructure?
- Are you using a server? What Operation System/ Windows 2003 or Windows 2008?
-What are the client operating systems? Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7?
- What is IP address of the server if any?
- What is the ip address range for the client machines?

If you can answer these questions then we can take the next steps.

Your description of the problem is confusing.

1. How did you connect the hard drives?
They are plugged into a switch
-Are they connected to a server through USB?
No
-Are they connected to a Work Station through USB?
No
-Is the connection type some thing else other than USB?
Yes Ethernet
-Are they directly connected to Network? In that case what is the IP address?
Yes 192.168.1.15 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
-What is the UNC name of the server?
I don’t have a server the hard drive is called “Maxtor”
-Have you shared the drives?
Yes

2. What is your infrastructure?
6 computers one Vista, 3 with XP, one Win 98, one Win 95, and one with triple boot 98, XP, and Mempis.
- Are you using a server? What Operation System/ Windows 2003 or Windows 2008?
No one wireless router and a switch with network printer and two network drives.
-What are the client operating systems? Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7?
Mainly use XP
- What is IP address of the server if any?
Router is 192.168.1.1
- What is the ip address range for the client machines?
Starts at 192.168.1.2
If you can answer these questions then we can take the next steps.

To repeat problem. With the Freecom drive a visitor can go to “My Network Places” and select View workgroup computers and the drive is visible but with the Maxtor drive it did not show.
However when writing this I followed the same route and was surprised to find the Maxtor drive now comes up!
But although drive can be seen, the USB sticks which were shown are no longer shown and it seems very hit and miss as to if the hard drive unit sees the USB pen drives or not. Since really designed for extra USB hard drives and not USB sticks I can’t really complain.
As to why the drive was not shown and now is not a clue. I have not changed a thing?

So it seems I don’t now need any help. Thanks anyway.

Sponsored Links
Back