1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Network Printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Munroist, 12 Aug 2019.

1. Munroist

Munroist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a printer that works fine if the ethernet cable from the printer is plugged into the back of the router, but if I plug the ethernet cable directly into the computer then I can't find the printer - any ideas why ? and how can i get it to work (via network)?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. pete50

pete50

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You cannot do that ecause the ethernet transmit line from your computer will go to the transmit line of the printer. You need what is called a crossover ethernet cable. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...e.TRS0&_nkw=crossover+ethernet+cable&_sacat=0 Or connect it via wireless. You will need to have a "direct wireless" facility on your printer toi connect directly to your computer. I have two printers one has direct wireless connectivity and that is a HP printer. The other one does not have this facility, an Epson, and I have to connect that via my router.

4. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you mean plugging the printer via a LAN cable, into the back of your computer it does work, then yes - as suggested it is probably because you need a crossover cable, but there could be other reasons, such as IP numbers are not being allocated.

Why can you not just plug printer and PC into the router, as they are designed to? The router will then allocate IP numbers and you can have the printer anywhere you like, so long as it can communicate with the router. I have two colour lasers and a big B&W laser, stashed away in a small bedroom / office space, out of the way, with a wireless remote control to power them up when needed.

5. IT Minion

IT Minion

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In practice most ethernet cards in PCs can dynamically switch from normal to crossover connections. It used to matter but nowadays less so.

If you are connecting the printer directly to the computer it should probably use a USB cable. If it's connected to the network then ethernet cable or WiFi. The two modes of operation are fairly different as far as drivers and the printer is concerned.

Networked printers are the hardest bit of tech to get working that anyone is likely to buy. More trouble doing that than setting up a VMWare host on my network.

6. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, I tried sorting the network on a 3 computer abd 2 printer setup in my work office.

I soon gave up and got in an IT guy!

And had to call him back when I needed a new router......

Im now trying to connect up a sysrem at home and learning that windows 10 isnt too helpful with networks......

7. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I didn't find that to be true, just set up the printer with a static IP, then set that IP in the printer driver.

8. Sponsored Links