network surveillance camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as I know square root of b*gger all about these can someone help please.. if I connect a wired/wifi camers to my home network could I view it on my network connected smart tv

Sponsored Links
If your TV has inbuilt web browser functionality then yes. Alternatively some have apps for ip cameras available I believe.

If your TV has inbuilt web browser functionality then yes.

Not if it needs a plugin, which many do.

The answer is definitely 'maybe' unless there's an app available for the specific camera (not being a 'smart' TV user, I have no idea what's available in that regard).

You have several different types of technology all mixed up here. So it's better to define what we are talking about and then say what is/isn't/maybe possible with each.

Wired cameras: simply a video camera on a video + power cable. The camera itself is dumb. Any IP functionality is in the recorder. This is your basic budget 2-camera/4-camera + harddisc recorder system sold for £150-£300

Wireless cameras: This does away with the video cable running back to the centrally located recorder. Each camera has it's own wallwart power supply. So these are the CCTV equivalent of a video sender. Once again the cameras are dumb. Any IP functionality is in the recorder.

The budget harddisc recorders can be connected to your home router via CAT cable. From there your WiFi connection will provide images for smartphones, tablets, computers. If the TV has a full web browser then it may be possible to view the recorder's web page. All of this only happens within the bubble of your home network though. If you want to access this when out and about then you'll need either a fixed IP address or some way of translating the changing IP address from your ISP in to something fixed. Alternatively, a lot of the Chinese system have web access via a streaming portal. IOW, you access the Chinese web server and then are directed to a unique web address for your recorder. The results can be a bit hit and miss though.

Wi-Fi IP cameras. These connect to your home Wi-Fi network, and from there to the wider world. This means you can access the images they see from a web browser on a computer, a tablet or a smartphone. Some cameras (e.g. Samsung SmartCam) will stream their content directly to your Youtube or Picasa account. If your smart TV can access either service then this is a way of getting around the limited app functionality of Smart TVs.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back