Neutral to earth fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I'm no electrician.
Story is we had the money for a rewire and new fuse box, but an electrician came out had a look and said, well you have solid copper wiring no trips etc etc etc.
He didn't test anything inside the fusebix on inspection.
Everything is earthed etc.
So he said it just needs to be electrically safe which changing the fuse box will do
Issue is .
When he came to fit he took the cover off amd did tests , he then says we have a neutral to earth fault. So said its a mine field to sort
Long story short with the fuse box switched off there's no neutral to earth fault or continuity, only when the fuse box is on.
I might add its a very old fuse box , I've attached a pic.
Any ideas , unfortunately after booking for the fuse box change we spent the rewire money elsewhere based on the initial visit.

Attachments

• 16680862281461040867515906166014.jpg
    16680862281461040867515906166014.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
What is your electrician's recommend course of action. ,or has the electrician given up and abandoned ship ?

continuity/ buzzing was when the consumer unit was switched on by the main switch between neutral and earth.
With the main switch off there wasn't.
Is this normal

He said there was a neutral to earth after showing me with his meter buzzing between neutral blcok and earth block in CU

Sponsored Links
It is difficult to know what has been done from your description, however:

Long story short with the fuse box switched off there's no neutral to earth fault or continuity, only when the fuse box is on.
That would suggest that the fault is on the main cables supplying the fuse box - not likely - assuming he is testing the correct wires.
I was getting confused. That's how it should be.

Continuity between what - Neutral and Earth? No continuity would be correct with the main switch OFF.

Did he not disconnect the circuits (you only have three) and test them?

Last edited:
It is difficult to know what has been done from your description, however:

That would suggest that the fault is on the main cables supplying the fuse box - not likely - assuming he is testing the correct wires.

Continuity between what - Neutral and Earth? No continuity would be correct with the main switch OFF.

Did he not disconnect the circuits (you only have three) and test them?
Yes neutral and earth, so that's correct from what you say no continuity.
No he didn't test the circuits .

He just checked from the neutral block to the earth block inside the CU and showed me it buzzing.
He says it could be a rouge nail through a cable of something. He knows we don't have the money for the rewire at mo so left.

Also showed me no buzzing when the main switch was off
Which is completely normal, as has already been stated. Unless you have only a local Earth rod for earthing then continuity between neutral and earth is expected when the main switch is on and no connectivity when it's off.

Sorry everyone if I'm not explaining correctly.
I do appreciate all your comments
He quoted 350 for a Cu change with rcd protection and certified , he didn't do any tests on quoting , he just checked we had earth's.
And he said it would make it electrically safe and certified .
But on arrival.
He took the cover off Cu you see in the pic, he was around 20 minutes before he called me and said you have a neutral to earth fault, he then put his meter from neutral block to earth block and it buzzed (with CU on) he said the rcd on the new board would trip if he fitted it.

So from what you all say it sounds correct at this point .

Do you think he just had 2nd thought as my Cu is sunken and the one he was fitting was flush to the wall.

We don't get any tripping etc on the mcbs , but there isn't any ring circuits they are all radials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back