coninuity tes on neutral to earth buzzes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
would like advice was extending my cooker wire with 60amp junction box and put coninuity test across live to earth and neutral to earth and it buzzes with neutral to earth
so disconnected what i had joined and done same at fuse box neutral to earth and that also showed coninuity
advice please

Sponsored Links
On a PME supply the earth for the installation is derived from the neutral feed to the property. The neutral is earthed at the electricity supply sub station.

The earth system is connected to the neutral wire at the main fuse.

Have you measured with the cable disconnected at BOTH ends.
Dont forget that in some installations (PME eg) Neutral is the same as earth.

Otherwise it could be a lot of things, maybe a fixing screw through the cable like this one:
Simonkitchencabinetmounting.jpg

Rather than a buzzer, what is the resistance when measured between the two conductors?

most people i have met dont know how to use a meter, only if it buzzes it must be ok.

Sponsored Links
Some meters will 'buzz' even at high impedances.

All meters will show continuity between Neutral and Earth on any TN system, you will see spuriodic readins on a TN-S due to the AC current flow in the network.

On TT systems, most continuity meters will not show a whisker - but the 'buzz' or 'dont buzz' type may well still show continuity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back