Weatherproof light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People,

Just a query regarding an outside light I have started to fit.

I have taken power from a mains socket via a junction box, fitted a 5 amp fused switch and then run twin and earth 1mm2 cable to an external weatherproof light switch.

However, I am confused as to how I wire this switch as there is no space for the neutral wire??? There is just a "common" and an L1 and L2 adn earth terminal.

I would expect this with inside lighting as the neutral would be in the rose. Also, the light I have purchased has a terminal for live, neutral and earth??

Do I then run the live to the common, the earth to the earth and leave the neutral out and then wire the switch to the light as follows:

Live to L1, neutral excluded and earth to earth??

Confusing??

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Both earths in one bit of connector block together (assuming switch is class two and does not have provision for the earths)
Both neutrals in one bit of connector block togther
Live in to common
Live out to L1

Thanks for that. makes perfect sense!!

How come they dont build in a terminal to allow this?

Also, is it common to have the wire in and out coming throught the same hole as they only supply one grommet with the switch??

Cheers again

Thanks for that. makes perfect sense!!

How come they dont build in a terminal to allow this?

They could, but probably assume most folk want to use the switch with 3-plate wiring, and if you do want to take the feed to the switch then its easy enough to use connector block

Also, is it common to have the wire in and out coming throught the same hole as they only supply one grommet with the switch??

What sort of cabling are you using? ... I do hate to see 6242Y used externally :evil: , in answer to the question as long as the entry maintains the IP rating it was designed to achieve then don't worry too much, if it doesn't... then best take another look at what you are trying to do![/quote]

Sponsored Links
Not intending to use conduit as the cable only runs from the soffit to the light switch which is at door height and then to the light. Also the wire runs down the back of the house and is not exposed to damage by moving objects etc...

Take it you do not agree with this idea???

What sort of cable will you be using?

Will it be OK to be exposed to rain and UV?

Will you be able to get proper sealing of the entry points if you use grommets and not glands?

When you applied for Building Regulations approval what did you say you'd be doing to ensure compliance with P1?

1 mm2 two core and earth cable. It is up against a wall so dont think it will be exposed to that much weathering. I will seal the entry points to the switch using silicone.

The weatherproof switch is only provided with grommets so am I okay to assume this weatherproofing is sufficient as it is to splash resistance standard IP55??

1 mm2 two core and earth cable. It is up against a wall so dont think it will be exposed to that much weathering.
So you never get sunlight on the wall?

Twin and earth is not suitable for use outside.

I will seal the entry points to the switch using silicone.
Is that recognition that the accessory and cable combination you've chosen won't perform adequately on their own? ;)

The weatherproof switch is only provided with grommets so am I okay to assume this weatherproofing is sufficient as it is to splash resistance standard IP55??
C&N outdoor accessories are often supplied only with grommets - better ones assume you'll be using cable or conduit glands. Does the maker claim IP55?

I have seen soooooo many external lights wired up with two core and earth cable????? The wire will be exposed to sunlight but how much damage can this cause?

The use of silicone is me taking extra precaution as i am not comfortable with just using the grommit but YES it states clearly that it has IP55 protection. Plus I will fit the grommit to the bottom of the switch where although I appreciate moisture is still apparent there will not be any splashes.

Regards

Many installations I have seen use that 1mm2 round cable and I just cant see how this provides any extra protection????

I have seen soooooo many external lights wired up with two core and earth cable?????
And I see people breaking the speed limit and driving too close to the vehicle in front on every car journey I do.

Does that make those the right things to do when driving?

The wire will be exposed to sunlight but how much damage can this cause?
The UV in sunlight will cause the PVC sheath of the cable to break down.

The use of silicone is me taking extra precaution as i am not comfortable with just using the grommit
Then use a proper cable gland.

Plus I will fit the grommit to the bottom of the switch where although I appreciate moisture is still apparent there will not be any splashes.
So 2 flat profile cables coming out of 1 grommet. No wonder you need silicone.

It's a rough and nasty bodge - use proper glands, 2 of them, one per cable, and use tough rubber sheathed cable. Some people recommend Hi-Tuf cable, but that can be difficult to work with because of its lack of flexibility and desire to spring back into the shape it was coiled in.

Many installations I have seen use that 1mm2 round cable and I just cant see how this provides any extra protection????
What colour cable?

Is it cable with a sheath susceptible to damage from UV radiation?

it states clearly that it has IP55 protection.

Most amusingly, the MK Masterseal socket, which I have, refers in the accompanying instructions with words to the effect that (at least under certain circumstances) you must drill a drain hole, and that this incidentally removes the IP56 guarantee.

:confused:

I agree there are better ways to do this but why would reputable firms sell these things if you then need to buy lots of extra bits to make it safe?

The round cable i am talking about is usually white. I dont think this is specifically outdoor cable!!!

Use hituf. It will only cost a few quid more and will be far better suited for the environment. ;)

HT1.5SLASH3.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back