Wiring 2 External PIR Security Lights

Sponsored Links
How far apart are the lights?

It is best if you do the job properly and run a new cable. Running a single core:

1) Is going to look ugly
2) gives you danger that if it gets damaged, then it can give you a nasty shock as it will not be part of the same cable that is protected by RCD.

Sponsored Links
Oh.

I see.

Then it will do nothing, and, if not part of any circuit, could never be a danger.

You don't have a clue, do you.

So hang on.

You have a single cable that connects the 2 L1s together. So these become LIVE when lights are on.

You then have a fault and the cable is broken/damaged. You touch it and then what happens? Nothing? Well I would like to be there with YOU and you can show me nothing happens to you when you touch it with your fingers and light up. I guess that would be one good use for you found !

So hang on.

You have a single cable that connects the 2 L1s together. So these become LIVE when lights are on.

Or you have a single cable sharing a PVC sleeve with 3 other single ones, and it connects the 2 L1s together. So these become LIVE when lights are on.

Please explain the difference.

If you read his question AGAIN properly, it is all there:

"Can i simply connect the two L1 together with a single core cable OR will i need to require rewire the system so that the second light is fed from the first with 3 C + E?"

In the first instance, the single cable that he runs is not protected by the same PVC cover as the t&E that he has already. So it is more likely that it might get damaged. Once damaged, as it is not part of the the same circuit that the t&e is connected to, then it will not trip the RCD.

However if job done properly, and used a 3C+E cable, then any fault with the cable due to damage will trip the RCD before anyone gets shocked.

If you read his question AGAIN properly, it is all there:
I have read it properly.

And I guess so have you. But the difference between us is that I am not misled by ignorance into giving incorrect advice.

In the first instance, the single cable that he runs is not protected by the same PVC cover as the t&E that he has already. So it is more likely that it might get damaged.
You did not make it clear that you were assuming that the OP would contravene the regulations in the way he installed the link.

Why did you assume that?

then any fault with the cable due to damage will trip the RCD before anyone gets shocked.
Please describe the possible damage scenarios, and how all of them will trip an RCD.

When you have done that, will you please revisit this:
It will not be part of ANY circuit if he runs a single cable.
and explain how it will perform ANY function if it is not part of ANY circuit.

my two PIR security lights are already installed with a separate 1.5mm twin and earth to each light.

Can i simply connect the two L1 together with a single core cable OR will i need to require the system so that the second light is fed from the first with 3 C + E?

It is probable that the set-up which mstizomad now has is as pictured in the circuit diagram on the Left of the above - with separate Wall Switches, which may or may not come from the same Lighting circuit.

Simply joining the Switched Line outputs from both sensors would work but it would not be a good idea since, with one Sensor activated, part of the current from one Line would return via the Neutral of the other circuit - which may come from a different Lighting circuit.

It would be better to rearrange the circuit as shown on the Right, with all devices fed from the same switched circuit.
While the connection could be direct, I have found it preferable to include an Isolation Switch, in some accessible but not obvious location (such as in a garage cupboard.)
This is because it makes any sensitivity and timing adjustments for each Sensor easier if there is no possibility for the other Sensor to switch on the Light while one Sensor is being adjusted.

(If there are more than two Sensors controlling multiple lights, an Isolation Switch would be necessary for each Sensor.)

I have read it properly.

And I guess so have you. But the difference between us is that I am not misled by ignorance into giving incorrect advice.

You did not make it clear that you were assuming that the OP would contravene the regulations in the way he installed the link.

Why did you assume that?

I think I made it very clear and if you were anyone else I would have bothered explaining it to you. But I can't be arsed, so I leave it here.

Hopefully the OP knows what he needs to do now and not confused by all your crap!

I think I made it very clear
No - you have not made it even slightly clear, let alone very clear, why you assumed that mstizomad would install a single core cable in a way which contravened the regulations.

But what you have made very clear is that you are utterly unqualified to be giving advice here.

and if you were anyone else I would have bothered explaining it to you. But I can't be arsed, so I leave it here.
CBA. Do you really think that anybody believes that? Or are you aware that everybody knows that your failure to explain is actually occasioned by your complete inability to do it?

Hopefully the OP knows what he needs to do now and not confused by all your crap!
I'd not be surprised to learn that you really do think that what I've said is crap, because you really don't know how to safely use single core cables, and you really don't know what a circuit is.

Hopefully the OP knows to ignore any "advice" you give.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back