PIR Sensor + Two core & earth (uninsulated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No the regs only require that a CPC is run to and terminated at each point point in wiring and each accesory. It doesn't require every cable to contain a CPC.

Sponsored Links
No the regs only require that a CPC is run to and terminated at each point point in wiring and each accesory. It doesn't require every cable to contain a CPC.
Thanks. Interesting - I obviously thought that it did! Maybe it's because of the way I've previously interpreted 'every point in the installation/wiring' - to include the length of the cable as well as its terminations. Having a CPC obviously does increase the probability of a protective device operating if the cable is penetrated.

Kind Regards, John

Whith multicore cables such as flex, or SWA, it is allowed to oversleeve the exposed core another colour.
That is just a comment from someone - not the regulations.

What is it that makes that correct rather than that with which you seem to disagree?

The person in question was quoting the regulations.
No he wasn't. It was just another sentence under the regulation which can also be confirmed by the poor grammar as well as looking at the regulation..

Whith multicore cables such as flex, or SWA, it is allowed to oversleeve the exposed core another colour.

What is it that makes that correct rather than that with which you seem to disagree?

No he wasn't. It was just another sentence under the regulation which can also be confirmed by the poor grammar as well as looking at the regulation..

I don't follow the point you're making. The guy did quote regulation 514.4.2. He interpretted it in his own words below yes, but it's already been agreed in this thread you can infact use the CPC in multicore cables for other purposes.

Sponsored Links
If you really think that a belief by others that you should be competent to do electrical work before plunging in is a sign of egocentrism in them then I beg you to give up doing any more such work because you are barking mad and too f*****g thick.

You obviously think it's acceptable to scorn and berate new members.

I found this thread below, which I hope JohnW2 doesn't mind me posting, but it details using the G/Y core for live, which is potentially dangerous.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=273240

And your exact response was 'You're a very naughty boy.' No big spiel about how JohnW2 is incompetent and he should learn before doing etc.

I find that really telling.

I don't follow the point you're making. The guy did quote regulation 514.4.2. He interpretted it in his own words below yes, but it's already been agreed in this thread you can infact use the CPC in multicore cables for other purposes.

Providing that every point and accesory is still supplied with a CPC, which in 99.9% of installations it will not be, so oversleeving the CPC would not be permitted.

I don't follow the point you're making. The guy did quote regulation 514.4.2. He interpretted it in his own words below yes,
He quoted the regulation and then followed it with a wrong statement.

The regulation -
The restriction against using G/Y as anything other than a CPC/earth, only applies to single core cables, here is an excerpt from 514.4.2: "Single core cables that are coloured green-and yellow throughout their length shall only be used as a protective conductor and shall not be over-marked at their terminations, except as permitted by Regulation 514.4.3."

Incorrect further sentence -

but it's already been agreed in this thread you can infact use the CPC in multicore cables for other purposes.
You mean one person has said what you want to hear.
I am not sure it has been agreed.

In any case would you, to satisfy your obsession with sleeving CPCs, prefer to install cables in parallel rather than do it properly?

In any case would you, to satisfy your obsession with sleeving CPCs, prefer to install cables in parallel rather than do it properly?

Look I feel this thread has got a little out of hand. I only came here to find out how to complete the job safely. I only quoted the regulation because I feel its a little ambiguous, and as a newbie it could be open to misinterpretation.

You obviously think it's acceptable to scorn and berate new members.
I found this thread below, which I hope JohnW2 doesn't mind me posting, but it details using the G/Y core for live, which is potentially dangerous.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=273240
And your exact response was 'You're a very naughty boy.' No big spiel about how JohnW2 is incompetent and he should learn before doing etc.
I'm not sure I understand your point - back in early 2011, I was also a pretty new member of the forum. I think you'll find that the reason you and I got treated differently was because of our respective 'attitudes'!

As for that old thread (as with this current one), it was eventually agreed that the regs do not prohibit oversleeving of a G/Y core in a multicore cable - but the thing I didn't realise at the time (seemingly the same as your position now) was the requirement for a CPC to be run to the Class II item on the end. ... so, that's what I learned from that thread, and I imagine the same is true of you with this current one.

Kind Regards, John

Methinks DIA (which should really be MIA) has opened a plethora of plumbers posts over here.

From a 'sparkie' point of view. A bare conductor in a T+E/3C+E is the cpc. No other use. End of.

A multi core flex.- If one of the flexes has a generic sleeving of green/ green/yellow its intention is to indicate its a cpc. End of. No over sleeving in your chosen sky blue pink tape is allowed.

From a 'sparkie' point of view. A bare conductor in a T+E/3C+E is the cpc. No other use. End of.
Hopefully that is true from everyone's point of view. Frankly, you don't need any regulations for that one - it's just common sense.
A multi core flex.- If one of the flexes has a generic sleeving of green/ green/yellow its intention is to indicate its a cpc. End of. No over sleeving in your chosen sky blue pink tape is allowed.
In many senses unfortunately, all these threads (back to my one in early 2011, and probably earlier) have ended up having to concede that it is allowed. Per BS7671, sleeving at the ends is an acceptable way of "identifying" a cable core, and (for multicore cables) all the regs say is that the G/Y colour must not be used to identify anything other than a CPC - in other words, a G/Y oversleeved with brown is acceptably identified as a live core. However, the point we keep coming back to is that, although oversleeving a G/Y with brown is allowed (even if 'orrible), the requirement for a CPC is nearly always going to render that an unusable approach, except in very rare circumstances (e.g. two 'parallel cables', just one of them carrying the CPC, as recently mentioned by RF).

Kind Regards, John

What I find really telling is that you are either genuinely too stupid to understand what I wrote or are for some inane reason just pretending to be.

When I wrote "I'd prefer it if people learned about things beforehand, and acquired a full and genuine understanding of how it worked and exactly what to do before they picked up a screwdriver" it was not scornful, nor was it berating you, nor was it denigrating you, nor was it egotistical, nor was it empty rhetoric.

But ever since I wrote it, you started, and carried on, calling it and me all of those things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back