never seen this before

B

breezer

earlier today i was loading some s/w onto my pc via a cd rom, short while after i started a heard a bang, looked round, nothing fallen over, pc still on, but prog stopped, then funny noise, yes you guessed th cd literaly shatterd inside the cd reader.

never seen that one before, new reader in and running, shame about the cd though

Sponsored Links
Heard about that before, usually a fault with the disc. If it's a software or music disc then you should be able to send it back to the manufacturer (albeit in bits).

Never heard of that but I once pressed the button to eject a cd and the drawer shot open and the spinning cd shot across the room! Reminded me of some kind of poltergeist film.

Sponsored Links
They didn't have much luck trying to make them burst in a proper drive.

When I was looking at CD drive corporate purchasing, I was told that the high-speed drives monitor the "true running" of the disk, they rev it up until it starts to wobble or run unbalanced, if this is detected they slow down until it runs true. This is mostly to cope with disks having glued-on labels.

It seems to me that these would not allow a disk to run at the warping speed shown prior to breakage.

I've seen this also - well not seen it happen, but seen the results. Caused by either a faulty cd - maybe a crack, or a faulty drive - if the cd spins off centre and catches then of course that will cause the cd to destruct. The problem you may now have is getting the cd replaced, the cd supplier will blame the drive, and the drive supplier will blame the cd....
John Im not an expert on the ins and outs of a cd drive but I have also believe that the drive speed will change if off balance - but I have seen labels come loose on disks and make a right racket spinning round so I dont know how trued that is or if only the more expensive drives do this.

Back