New 13A socket from loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a power point in my bedroom for a TV. It is next to a wardrobe so what I'd like to do is run a 13A socket from my loft down into my fitted wardrobe and out to the TV. There is also a cat5 and Coax cable taking the same route, and can be done with the minimum of hassle/mess..

In the loft I have a double socket and also a home alrm running from mains. The 2 grey wires both go downstairs to the RCD box i.e. must form the ring and the white wire feeds the alarm box from behind.

I've yet to open any of this up, but from the pics, am I able to take a 13A spur to the bedroom from this, either from the twin socket or from the alarm side of the spur?

Basically, does the alarm count as an existing spur off the plug socket ring main, or is it part of the ring main itself, and hence I can take another spur from the plug socket.

ANd if it does count as a spur, can I take 13A off the fused side anyway? Pic should be attached (I think)

Thanks

View media item 49146

Sponsored Links
That socket is not part of main ring, because there is only one twin&earth going into it (that I can see). But it will be fine to extend as you describe. The alarm and TV will not be a any great load. Extend with the same size wire as used to feed the original socket in the attic. Just in case someone decides to boil a kettle in the wardrobe.

The fused spur and the socket could be joined inside, thus making it a ring, at a guess.

If so, yes you can spur off this.

From your picture it is hard to determine whether the circuit is a ring final circuit( RFC), radial or even a spur from a spur. A little more investigation is required.
If you isolate circuit and open up the covers then take picture could be helpful.
Also are there two cables at the consumer unit for this circuit, what is the fuse rating, cables size and any labels identifying circuit at CU?

Sponsored Links
That socket is not part of main ring, because there is only one twin&earth going into it (that I can see).
In that case....

But it will be fine to extend as you describe.
No it won't. The FCU would need to be introduced before the existing socket

The alarm and TV will not be a any great load.
Irrelevant.

It seems to me very likely that the socket and the FCU are part of a ring and that there is a link between them inside the back boxes. Could you drop the socket and FCU off and post a picture of the connections? Turn the power off at the mains first.

If that is the case, then you can take an unfused spur from either accessory, or even one from each.

Looks like one side of the socket is not in use.... simple solution would be to run an extension lead from this down the wall, and have a trailing socket in the cupboard? Not so elegant, but would do the job and be quicker to install

Apologies newbuyer17 for the errors in my answer to your question, thank you ban-all-sheds, my mistake.

It seems to me very likely that the socket and the FCU are part of a ring and that there is a link between them inside the back boxes.
Can't see a cable in the gap between the boxes.

But if it isn't part of the ring it could probably be made so without too much effort.

Can't see a cable in the gap between the boxes.

There may be acable joining them behind the piece of board, after all, the load side cable for the FCU goes this way.

Then again, those two vertical pieces of T&E may just connect into a junction box on a ring final making them both spurs.

Then again, they may connect to a redundant immersion heater RADIAL.

Can't tell from a computer screen, so needs more investigation.

Question to NEWBUYER17
What sort of property is this? It would be unusual to find ring final cabling in a loft unless this is a bungalow.

There may be acable joining them behind the piece of board, after all, the load side cable for the FCU goes this way.
There may be.

I thought of that, and whilst it's possible I thought it unlikely, given how the other accessories were installed, that someone would have drilled two more holes in the chipboard and threaded cable through them.

But as you say, no point in endless speculation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back